What is this prickly plant?

steve22802(7a VA)April 16, 2009

Does anyone know the name of this prickly plant? Seems like it might make an interesting addition to a bouquet. It grows wild along the highways here in Virginia.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowers4u(z6 OR)

Steve - I don't know its formal name, but its Teasel (sp?)
I use it in fall arrangements and actually spray paint it with floral spray for Christmas decorations! It lasts forever...have some in a box that is over 4 years old!

Use gloves though...and its pretty when its green, but never have cut it in that stage.

Wendy

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 5:55PM
prairiegirlz5

Wendy~What brand of floral spray do you use? I'm assuming gold. Or?? Sounds interesting, what else do you put with it?

Is it blooming now in Virginia, Steve? It looks scarey.

One to try with frilly ladies mantle! :)

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 8:12PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Thanks Wendy. I've failed twice to grow Sea Holly maybe I should try to grow this instead since it grows on it's own around here.

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 8:15PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Wow, very interesting - but look at those thorns! I don't know if it would be worth it to use. I have enough problems dealing with cleome, lol.

:)
Dee

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 1:46PM
jansblooms(z4 IA)

In some states, teasel is considered a noxious weed. If I were to use it in a flower show competition, my entry containing teasel would disqualified, and probably not allowed for exhibition. I'd suggest checking on its status before planting it. (It does have very interesting texture, and I bet it would be a great contrast with frilly or velvety plants.)

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 9:52PM
busylizzy(z5 PA)

I have seen teasel spryed gold or silver in competitons for dreid arrangements.
Florists will mix them in arrangements with lotus pods etc.
Never know about a noxious weed, lol, Queen Annes is a weed here but common in many floral arrangements. When I order from florists for work I tell them no weeds like Queen Annes lace, not paying for weeds

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 8:51AM
kitkat_oregon(7)

Please dont TRY to grow this plant. It is certainly a noxious weed here. If it is growing in the areas beside your freeway/highway, it will get into your garden and be everywhere. It has very sharp barbs on the backs of the leaves that kids and anyone else can get caught up on. Great for fall arrangements, nasty the rest of the time. As you probably guessed, I have it here, BY THE ACRE load. Kat

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 10:36AM
steve22802(7a VA)

Thanks for the warning kitkat, I won't try to grow it. I'll limit myself to using what I can just gather from the roadside. Do you have a recommendation for something with similar texture? As I mentioned above my attempts to grow Sea Holly have led to dismal failure. :( I assume they hate my clay soil. Maybe I should try one more time with specially ammended soil...what is that they really want to grow in?

Prairiegirlz5, it's not blooming now, it blooms in late summer I think, but there are prickly dried seed heads still standing now. At least until the road crews start bushhogging alongside the highways.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
cold hardy kiwi
looking for a male and female cuttings to start cold...
juststartingout
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
What (more tropical) flowers to grow in uk
So I want to grow a load of flowers in most of the...
mushibu10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™