Soft Shield Fern ,'Plomosum Densum'

mshostasDecember 23, 2006

HI all;

I am in search of a variety of 'Polystichum setiferum' ( soft shield fern / Alaska fern ) from the UK.or Germany, 'Plumosum Densum '. It is a very beautiful fern. I can't find it in the US, if any one knows thanks.

Mshostas

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

You would think that a variety so readily available in Europe, would be offered by some US nurseries. I haven't seen it listed anywhere lately.
Might try Judith Jones at: judith@fancyfronds.com and Sue Olsen at: foliageg@juno.com (Foliage Gardens) for a possible source. Sue is also founder of the Hardy Fern Foundation, hff@hardyferns.org, which may be helpful in locating a source. The American Fern Society, amerfernsoc.org, has a forum where you can post questions (registration required).I'm sure some member(s) would know of a US source.
Good luck!
Rb

Bookmark   December 24, 2006 at 11:20PM
mshostas

Thanks Rb, good information.
mshostas

Bookmark   January 1, 2007 at 11:36PM
tobyhs

Hi, I'm propagating Polystichum Setiferum (Plumosum densum) from bulbils (i.e. live plantlets that develop on the stems) with little difficulty. The reason is simply that we are in the process of moving house and are determined to take this lovelist of ferns with us, the original 20-year plant being too established to move now. I'll happily send you one, but I'm not sure if they can be legally imported at your end? What about some spores which you can develop in self-seal bags? Incidentally, it doesn't seem to be too easy to buy here either. Plenty of other Polystichums about, but not this one. The ref page doesn't say it's of a Plum.dens. but it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Useful reference page

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
Foxtail Fern growing, but strangely.
This fall, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I brought my foxtail...
SequoiaMatt99
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Where to purchase Platycerium madagascariense?
I've been growing epiphytes for years but I'm having...
epiphyteoahu808
Deer Ferns have turned "Brown"
I have 2 deer ferns in containers on my shaded deck....
gardenbug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™