Weed preventer on Lily's?

goshawker(z4WI)April 13, 2006

I was just wondering if it's o.k. to put something like Preen on the ground over my Lily's to help me with the weeding.

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
honeybunny442(z6 TN)

Hopefully someone will post in, Steve! I was looking at the same stuff, we had terrible weed problems last summer. I'm renting the field so didn't want to wood chip mulch.
Susan

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 11:54AM
Jeanne_in_Idaho(z5 N.Idaho)

Good luck to both of you. Really, I mean that, it isn't a sarcastic comment.

I learned the hard way not to plant lilies in ground that hadn't been mostly (or completely) weed-free for years. In addition to that, I top-dressed with an inch or two of compost every year, and it basically doubled as a mulch.

Lilies can be left in the ground for years, so applying a mulch could be quite cost-effective - unless, in Susan's case, you're not sure you'll be using that space for very long.

Jeanne

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 12:18PM
heidi41(z5 Mass)

I have used Preen in my "landscape" beds around lilies for years. It doesn't seem to hurt them and it certainly helps with a lot of weeds. I just make sure that I don't sprinkle it directly on the plants.I truly am NOT a big advocate of using chemicals on my market gardens. I only use it on some of the perenial cutting beds and the landcape beds. I DON'T use it around the vegetable market gardens or anywhere near edible plants/herbs.

Last fall I planted 200 lilies in the field. Once they sprout(I'm starting to get nervous as they haven't done anything yet) I will put the Preen around them.

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Longest-Lasting Flowers for Arrangements?
Any suggestions for long-lasting cut flowers would...
christy51274
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
Need help identifying this plant/flower
My wife bought a variety pack of seeds and this plant/flower...
carillon
High temps reducing cuts?
I am in my second year of growing cut flowers for farmers'...
Mike_PP11
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™