when to take cuttings of daffodils

hudsonvalley_zone6aApril 3, 2010

I have a number of daffodils that I'd like to use indoors as decor. When is the best time to cut these for indoor purposes? Also, will cutting daffodils kill the plant? Can you tell that I'm a newbie?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitkat_oregon(7)

hudsonvalley, you can cut your daffs as soon as the bud is fat and showing color or you can cut them when they are fully open. I find the best way to harvest them is to hold the stem as far down as I can get my fingers and give it a good tug. Usually, the stem breaks down below ground level and you will see a whitish area at the bottom of the stem, sometimes it will break further up, either is fine. You should then cut the white area off and put the daffs into clean water. Daffodils exude a gooey sap and should not be conditioned with other flowers until they have been in their own water for at least an hour, I like to keep them separated for at least three hours and then you can mix them with other flowers, you will notice that the bottom of the stems might have split, just cut above the split before arranging them. The gooey sap is nasty for other flowers and will prevent them from taking up water. Picking your daffs will not kill the bulb, just let the leaves complete their cycle through yellowing and cut them off and you will have daffs again next year, probably more of them. Enjoy. Kat

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
Please recommend cut flowers
I have two spots open in my raised bed for two plants....
mshelenlu
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
preparing very weedy area for next year's cutting garden
This year because of a host of unfortunate events and...
nancy0903
Sponsored Products
Montego Stripe Black 17-Inch Toss Pillow
$23.95 | Bellacor
Urban Living Series 7 Foot Package - Option 9
Wine Cellar Innovations
Claire Rotating Floor Cabinet with Mirror by Wyndham Collection - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
$49.00 | Home Depot
Rachael Ray Stoneware Casserround 2.75-quart Covered Baking Dish
Overstock.com