Any tips on cutting Creeping Buttercup?

steve22802(7a VA)April 27, 2009

Does anyone have any tips on cutting Creeping Buttercup/ Ranunculus repens? I'm planning on using some in very small bouquets I'm selling at market tomorrow. I cut some early this morning while it was still cool and put them directly into Jeannes preservative formula and then right into refrigeration. Anything else I'm missing? Oh wait, I forgot to recut the stems underwater! I should probably do that yet too. Any vase life estimates?

Thanks,

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve22802(7a VA)

Well, I can report a bit on Ranunculus repens now. I've been using some this week in small cut flower bouquets and have been leaving some out at room temperature to observe. The vase life of the flower itself is very good lasting at least a week in good condition but the stem is another matter. The stems are brittle and also tend to turn into brown mush even while the flower continues to remain acceptable. In my latest arrangements I avoided having tall stems due to concerns that they might flop over. Instead I arranged the flowers such that a nearby foliage plant would support the flower in the event that the stem loses turgidity. The stems seemed to hold up best if I chose only the thickest stems, recut them underwater and then refrigerated them immediately.

I would say that this flower is acceptable for cut flower use but only in small vase arrangements not in celeophane wrapped flowers or mid to large arrangements and not in situations where the stem might get pinched. I didn't bother trying any tests out of water as I'm sure the stem would flop very rapidly.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Straw for mulch?
Hello everyone, I am considering using straw for mulch...
Fundybayfarm
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
Self seeding annuals in zone 4
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has had experience...
greenthumbon1hand
Growing zinnias and ranunculus for wedding
Hello, I am planning on growing the necessary flowers...
Logan-Jess
Zinnia flower heads not growing large as expected
I planted a variety of zinnias this year....smoothies...
tizzylizzyloo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™