Longer stemmed Alchemilla (Ladies Mantle)

steve22802(7a VA)April 11, 2009

I have several alchemilla plants but mine seem to always have short stems that hang low to the ground. Are there varieties that grow longer more erect stems for cutting or do I just need to treat mine better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
all_bout_flowers

Yes, there is a smaller version and the regular one. It also depends on if they are in full sun or part shade. Mine in Pt. shade get taller.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 6:18PM
steve22802(7a VA)

I got my original plant from a friend so I don't know what cultivar it is. Apparently it's the smaller version though since it just seems to creep along the ground. I'll have to buy the larger version for cutting.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 8:35PM
prairiegirlz5

I have 'Thriller' in full sun, it gets very full and flowers well, but takes a couple of years to get up to full steam, as do many perennials. I got mine from HD a couple of years ago, and bought more last year! :)

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 9:34AM
flowers4u(z6 OR)

I use Thriller as well, and there is another variety, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I have mine in partial shade and it does get very tall and I have almost two 3' x 25' beds of it. Great filler!

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 3:01PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Thanks, sounds great, I'll look for Thriller.

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 4:21PM
prairiegirlz5

I found that the wetter springs were good to my plants, but it was important to still have good drainage. I added lots of compost to our beds when we planted them, and always mulch. flowers4u, you probably have ideal conditions. I have amended clay soil.

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 8:41PM
flowers4u(z6 OR)

Prairiegirl - I have clay as well, but the beds the Lady's Mantle are in under 2 large oak trees, so they get the shade and leaves in the fall! And, those beds actually haven't had any compost that I remember...humm, probably should!

I have one plant in an odd spot (just haven't gotten around to moving it) and its in mostly sun and is never as tall, probably 6-8" shorter...if that helps!
Wendy

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
Zinnias - wrong colors and curled petals
I planted a variety of zinnias this year, in raised...
Lily08
Self seeding annuals in zone 4
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has had experience...
greenthumbon1hand
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™