Growing Gaillardia in clay

ravisankApril 16, 2012

Hi

I am new to gardening and was captivated by the colorful flowers of Gaillardia. I purchased a pot from an online store located in suny, dry CA. I planted them last week in a sunny (west facing) location, added reasonable amount of compost to make the sticky clay soil of Northern VA a little more well-drained. This week I observed that the lower leaves of the plant have starting getting yellow. I have not been watering the plant much as I read online that the plant prefers dry, well-drained, poor soil.

Not sure if I am doing anything wrong for the plant or is this just an adjustment phase for the plant as it adapts to the new conditions.

Will really appreciate insight from someone who has successfully grown these beautiful plants in clay soil. Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitkat_oregon(7)

ravisank, generally with anything in a pot, you are going to have to give it a little food every now and then. Even things that grow in poor soil have to eat a little something. The west aspect is also going to mean that your pot is going to get hot, keep your soil moist in the hottest times. Others will chime in I am sure, good luck. Kat

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 4:34PM
ravisank

Thanks Kat. I watered the Gaillardias yesterday. Will also feed them some Flower tone today. Hopefully they will take off.

Thanks again.
Ravi

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 9:09AM
oliveoyl3

Ravi- Do you have blooms now on the blanket flower? Here it needs well drained soil and prefers drier winters than we have.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
Zinnias - wrong colors and curled petals
I planted a variety of zinnias this year, in raised...
Lily08
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
Peony shaped flowers
I have fallen in love, again, with peony flowers. (...
qbush
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™