Cup and Saucer Vine (Cobaea scandens)?

butterflylion(7bGA)April 29, 2005

I've never grown this before. Can the blooms be used in cut arrangements? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerfarmer

We don't grow this annual. However, the variety Cathedral Bell Series is listed in the cutflower growers seed catalog. It is a zones 9-10 plant.

Bookmark   April 30, 2005 at 8:38PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

butterflylion, it's not a good cut flower, the stems the actual flower is on, are quite short. Cathedral Bells are a form of Campanula which isn't a great plant for the combination of heat and humidity we have here :(

Bookmark   April 30, 2005 at 9:19PM
petunia_ca(10CA)

I grew 2 plants from seed and they took over the yard. They are beautiful and I did use them in bouquets but the ants were impossible to control and filled every flower though one could not see them until brought in.

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 8:17PM
sharonsgarden(zone 7)

If you grow this plant you have to start the seed fairly early, because it takes quite a while to bloom. I grew it last year from seed and it didn't bloom for me. I gave one plant to my mother and she had a couple of blooms before frost. I planted mine in a pot to overwinter in the house and right now it is taking over my breakfast room waiting for the moment it can go outside. Cuttings are extremely easy to start, too - just stick in water and roots show up in no time.

I didn't grow it to use as a cutflower. I try to grow something new each year. I hope I will get blooms soon after it goes outside and gets fed.

Sharon

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 7:20AM
More Discussions
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
David Austin roses for cutting
Hey helloo community I'm brand new to roses and am...
Clemmielover
Cutting Stocks
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me?...
petal978
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
Need help identifying this plant/flower
My wife bought a variety pack of seeds and this plant/flower...
carillon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™