Transplanting Citrus Trees

spockvr6(Zone 9/10)September 30, 2005

Hello-

I have a couple of smaller sized citrus trees (Ruby Red Grapefruit and Tangelo) in my yard that Id like to move to another area. They were small when I bought them and have been in the ground roughly 3 years. At this point, they are maybe 5 ft tall and have roughly 2" diameter trunks.

How hard might these be to successfully transplant? Based on another small citrus tree I dug up in the past, I know the roots probably extend out quite a bit by this time on even these small trees. I wont possibly be able to get all the long roots when I dig these trees up (probably no more than maybe a 2 foot root ball as otherwise I will tear up too much of my lawn).

In this scenario, and in general, what are my chances of successfully transplanting these trees?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drichard12(4)

5 ft tall 2" diameter trunks 2 foot root ball, Your going to need some top pruning..I would say 30/70 maybe less 10/90

Bookmark   October 1, 2005 at 2:23PM
spockvr6(Zone 9/10)

What do you mean by 30/70 or 10/90?

Bookmark   October 1, 2005 at 2:25PM
drichard12(4)

Suggest rate 30-10 in your favor 90-70 against. Relocating a tree that size with a 2 foot root ball
Is going to take a big hit on the tree, I feel a 30-10 chance of making it would be in your favor a 90-70 is against you

A tree of that size in relocating is not all that great with a 2 foot root ball

You will need to top prune, because you would not have the root mass

Your best time would be in the early spring, before the growth begins

Bookmark   October 1, 2005 at 3:07PM
gatormomx2(9a)

Transplanting is best done in Florida right about now . This will give the tree several months to go dormant with leaf growth but continue to grow new roots . The tree will be in the ground 6 months or more by the time our brutal heat hits in May . Water frequently and cross your fingers .
Why not try it ? If you lose the tree you can always purchase another one . Try posting this question on the Florida Forum .

Bookmark   October 2, 2005 at 4:35PM
jesseweller

I want to transplant an orange tree 30 yards away. tree is 7 feet tall and 6 years old. also i want to transplant angrapefruit tree that is 4 feet high and 6 years old. When do I transplant and how much do I cut back on the tree? thanks Jesse weller

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™