Are citrus roots compatible with pipes?

Fori is not pleasedSeptember 8, 2011

Howdy! I'm planting several citrus trees (labor day sales got me!) and found a pipe in my hole. It's ~5" diameter PVC for the swimming pool, about 18" deep. Can I plop my little tree on top of it or will I end up with a plumbing issue in a few years when the tree gets larger?

And if it's okay from the pipe's point of view, would there be any problem for the tree with a sometimes warm, sometimes not warm pipe running through the roots? (The pool is mildly heated, but the pump isn't always on.)

Maybe I'm overthinking this...I'd appreciate any advice though. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Well, it's not optimal, but citrus roots tend to grow laterally, and are not trees that send down deep tap roots for the most part. Instead, then grow laterally and more superficially. Is the tree on semi-dwarf rootstock or standard rootstock? Semi-dwarf will have less significant root structure. I wouldn't worry about the roots, more worry about the pipe :-)

Patty S.

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 3:42PM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks for the reply. I think it's semi dwarf--if not, I bought several and probably one is.

I guess I'm more concerned about the pipe than the tree--if the pipe has to be replaced of course, so will the tree...

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 4:21PM
johnmerr(11)

I think your last statement tells you what to do.. move it.
I would move it only because, one day I might have to replace the pipe the the tree would suffer a lot for that.

FYI.. for most citrus, the older they get, the less they like being moved.

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 5:04PM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks. I moved my hole a bit. They're still a little cozier than I would like but it's very important to have my citrus trees!

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 9:32PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Remember, too, that as your citrus ages, the roots will get a lot larger and bulkier. The older a root is, the bigger it gets as it puts on 'weight' (wood). The newest roots are the very small and fragile ones; and they travel farther and farther away from the trees as time goes by; shallow but widespread.

So, it is not a wise idea to install a woody plant in the same hole (or near by) as pipes. At some point in time, somethings gotta give, and it won't be the tree.

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™