' Cutting Oriental Poppies '

hollyhocker_123(6)May 31, 2009

The first time I saw these. A woman where I work,Brought them in. They looked lovely. I told her about the match thing. She said she just cuts them. Last nite I cut mine, It was early ev about 7:30 pm The sun was going down. The flowers were closed. I didn,t singe the stems. Today they look awful. Can I singe the stems or is it a done deal. This always happens. :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
all_bout_flowers

I cut some for a wedding on Friday, I have never cut them before but my mom has and always singed the ends to keep the sap from running. I also consulted a great book I have Garden to Vase by Linda Beutler, I highly recommend this book even to seasoned flower growers. She writes: cut in AM, heat seal with candle flame and put in flower preserve; the flowers should last five days or so. I'm going to cut more today for my pleasure and see how long they last.

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 9:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_b(z6 MO)

I also have oriental poppies and am unsure of what stage to cut. It seems if I cut when the sepals start to separate, the bloom takes several days to unfurl and the petals are black tinged on the edges from the pollen. I have pink poppies with a black blotch.

Do you want until the sepals are completely off before cutting your poppies?

Teresa

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
High temps reducing cuts?
I am in my second year of growing cut flowers for farmers'...
Mike_PP11
Cutting Stocks
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me?...
petal978
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
Bright Light Cosmos Never Again
This is the second year in a row that my bright light...
weld
What (more tropical) flowers to grow in uk
So I want to grow a load of flowers in most of the...
mushibu10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™