Fall sown annuals zone 5

trovesoftrilliums(5)May 21, 2011

In the fall there were some discussions about fall sown larkspur and just wanted to give a quick update on how my plants are doing.

Fall sown larkspur (QIS mix) and Ocean Pearls (Agrostemma githago)from Geoseed direct sown in fall 2010 are up and budding nicely. I didn't keep real good track of germination rates, but I am pleased with the seeding density in the rows I tried--larkspur it possibly even too close. They germinated in the fall despite the warm dry weather and carried on through the winter with spotty snow coverage as little rosettes. Definitely looking forward to them blooming.

Early this spring I direct sowed some of these also and the spring sown ones are only about 2 inches tall.

Anyone know of other plants suited for fall sowing in zone 5?

I wonder if snapdragon seedlings can over winter also. I had expected my snaps to be much larger by now, but they are only a few inches tall. Hope they don't fizzle out too early when it gets hot.

I'm new to zone 5 growing and I find it interesting to balance cool weather crops with warm weather crops.

thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thinman(Z5 MI)

I've found that bachelor buttons (centaurea cyanus) are great to start in the fall. Mine from last fall are currently the tallest plants in my garden, including perennials (not including tulips).

I wish I had your luck (or skill) with larkspur. My fall-sown ones almost all froze and I have exactly zero from my spring planting. Clearly I don't know what I'm doing there.

ThinMan

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 9:06PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Try fall sowing some Bupleurum. I grew some last year and it self sowed in several places and came up very early around the beginning of March. The biggest plants are now around 3.5 feet tall and starting to bloom now just a week after my last frost date. I also sowed Bupleurum seed this spring (on March 5th) but it is only about 4 inches tall, it's a pretty amazing contrast between the two.

If you haven't grown Bupleurum before, give it a try. It's a nice neutral filler with chartreuse flowers.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 10:35PM
teresa_b(z6 MO)

My fall sown plants that are doing well include orlaya (in full bloom) bells of Ireland, euphorbia, cerinthe, and even some self sown cosmos. I hope to experiment more next year.

Teresa

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
Bright Light Cosmos Never Again
This is the second year in a row that my bright light...
weld
Longest-Lasting Flowers for Arrangements?
Any suggestions for long-lasting cut flowers would...
christy51274
David Austin roses for cutting
Hey helloo community I'm brand new to roses and am...
Clemmielover
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
cold hardy kiwi
looking for a male and female cuttings to start cold...
juststartingout
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™