Have Lemons Want Foliage

Backyard_HackSeptember 7, 2012

Recently got into gardening and have a Lisbon lemon tree that has always had lots of lemons but the leaves didn't look too healthy. Shriveled, yellow edges and leafminer damage.

Did some research and figured out I had compacted clay soil and no nutrients, so I started fertilizing regularly and have treated the top 4 inches with Gypsum (to break up the soil and allow drainage) and compost.

I was looking forward to seeing beautiful green leaves start to show within a few weeks, and there does seem to be some improvement (new leaves that don't get hit by the leafminers look good, but nowhere near what I was hoping for. I want to look out my window and see beautiful green leaves and lots of yellow lemons!!!

Am I just being impatient or is there something else I can do? Also have an orange tree with similar issues. It seems like I am not getting the nutrients down into the roots but don't want to disturb the roots.

Please advise!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

You don't say where you live; but based on your description, I would guess your soil is high pH; your trees would do best in 5.5 to 6.5. In higher pH soils, especially over 7.5 your tree cannot absorb all the minerals it needs, especially iron; and you have to apply chelated iron. As for the slow response to your care, I would be patient; first the roots must grow and after that the leaves and branches.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 2:37PM
Backyard_Hack

Thanks johnmerr...I live in San Diego. Will look into the pH level and chelated iron, and be patient. Maybe it is because of late summer and things will improve in the spring? Appreciate your feedback.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 3:58PM
Backyard_Hack

Thanks johnmerr...I live in San Diego. Will look into the pH level and chelated iron, and be patient. Maybe it is because of late summer and things will improve in the spring? Appreciate your feedback.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Bugs 15
Ok. I've had enough of having to wait forever to get...
mikerno_1micha
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™