Delphs, Scabioso, Echinops. When to transplant?

anniew(4-5/PA)May 4, 2005

Hi, When can I put these plants out in the field. They are in four packs now in the greenhouse that is kept at 50 at night. Must I wait until the frost free date? Thanks...Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

All of these are truly hardy perennials and, especially considering you've hardened them off in a 50-degree room, are ready to go out as soon as your ground is workable.

Joe

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 12:38AM
Jeanne_in_Idaho(z5 N.Idaho)

I can't address the Scabious or Echinops, but delphs are very cold-hardy and can go outside when there are still light frosts. I'd harden them off better, though, unless you're already past your last frost date. 50 degrees isn't freezing. And they need to get used to full sunlight more gradually.

I used to lose half my delphs at transplant until I started growing them on in 4" pots, putting the seedlings in the pots as soon as the cotyledons (seed leaves) were up and expanded. They don't seem to like having their roots disturbed and are happy to die at transplant unless they have TONS of room in the container they were grown in. But that's just my experience. Perhaps plugs work just fine for everybody else. The climate and wind are a bit of a challenge here.

Jeanne

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 12:10PM
anniew(4-5/PA)

Jeanne,
Thanks for jarring my memory...I remember doing plugs many years ago of delphs and losing them all...these now are in 804s but I think it is a good idea to maybe put them in four inchers for awhile...and it is windy here also.
I put 12 each of blue, pink and white in 3 quart containers for sale later as perennials, but wanted the rest (20 of each) to add to the field cuts. Guess I'll repot first, then after 2-3 weeks cover with row cover when I put them in the field and hope that helps.
Thanks again.
Ann

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
High temps reducing cuts?
I am in my second year of growing cut flowers for farmers'...
Mike_PP11
Please recommend cut flowers
I have two spots open in my raised bed for two plants....
mshelenlu
David Austin roses for cutting
Hey helloo community I'm brand new to roses and am...
Clemmielover
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™