Poppy Source?

queenbee_1(7)May 22, 2010

I would love to plant some Oriental Poppies. Do you know of any good sources for seeds? What are your favorite variety? Thanks..QB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitkat_oregon(7)

Hi queenbee, I have just placed an order with the One Stop Poppy Shoppe, they seem to have a great selection of seeds. The other option, which I am also going to do, is to go to the houses where I have seen magnificent poppies growing and ask if I can harvest some seed heads come fall. I find that folks are, for the most part, very willing to share. Hey, you never know until you ask, and they are free. Good Luck.
Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: One Stop Poppy Shoppe

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 12:38AM
queenbee_1(7)

Thank you Kat, I also found Eden Brothers in GA. I will be ordering from both to see which one I like the best. I would love to be able to harvest from others but I don't see them very often here in NC.. I saw a some beauties last yr at a tour.. but the lady was clearly not parting w/ any of her seeds.. She was nice but was giving lots of excuses to other people..I didn't even ask.. Maybe next yr. I will have some to share...LOL

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 9:08PM
teresa_b(z6 MO)

I have tried growing Oriental Poppies from seed for many years and have found that sowing them into an outdoor bed does not work for me. I tried winter sowing last year and had great luck with that method. Mine are blooming right now from a sowing in January 2009 into a disposable aluminum cake pan. I purchased seed from GeoSeed and Thompson & Morgan.

Teresa

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 10:36AM
kathy734(48185)

I bought 4 colors from One Stop Poppy Shop . This is my first time ever trying to grow Poppies.. I started them from seed back when I received them in April. Put them in the refrigerator for one day then sprinkled them on the ground the next day. We actually still had frost on the ground, which I guess is good to start these off. So far looks like I have the seeds from the red I ordered coming up like crazy, I will have to thin them out. I don't see anything coming from the blue I ordered or the Red/White expensive one I ordered. I also have white and I think I see just a couple little seedlings starting. I hope thats what they are.. I would reorder from One Stop Poppy as I wouldn't necessarily think it was there fault that two varieties look like they did not germinate.

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
Cutting Stocks
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me?...
petal978
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™