Poppy Source?

queenbee_1(7)May 22, 2010

I would love to plant some Oriental Poppies. Do you know of any good sources for seeds? What are your favorite variety? Thanks..QB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitkat_oregon(7)

Hi queenbee, I have just placed an order with the One Stop Poppy Shoppe, they seem to have a great selection of seeds. The other option, which I am also going to do, is to go to the houses where I have seen magnificent poppies growing and ask if I can harvest some seed heads come fall. I find that folks are, for the most part, very willing to share. Hey, you never know until you ask, and they are free. Good Luck.
Kat

Here is a link that might be useful: One Stop Poppy Shoppe

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 12:38AM
queenbee_1(7)

Thank you Kat, I also found Eden Brothers in GA. I will be ordering from both to see which one I like the best. I would love to be able to harvest from others but I don't see them very often here in NC.. I saw a some beauties last yr at a tour.. but the lady was clearly not parting w/ any of her seeds.. She was nice but was giving lots of excuses to other people..I didn't even ask.. Maybe next yr. I will have some to share...LOL

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 9:08PM
teresa_b(z6 MO)

I have tried growing Oriental Poppies from seed for many years and have found that sowing them into an outdoor bed does not work for me. I tried winter sowing last year and had great luck with that method. Mine are blooming right now from a sowing in January 2009 into a disposable aluminum cake pan. I purchased seed from GeoSeed and Thompson & Morgan.

Teresa

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 10:36AM
kathy734(48185)

I bought 4 colors from One Stop Poppy Shop . This is my first time ever trying to grow Poppies.. I started them from seed back when I received them in April. Put them in the refrigerator for one day then sprinkled them on the ground the next day. We actually still had frost on the ground, which I guess is good to start these off. So far looks like I have the seeds from the red I ordered coming up like crazy, I will have to thin them out. I don't see anything coming from the blue I ordered or the Red/White expensive one I ordered. I also have white and I think I see just a couple little seedlings starting. I hope thats what they are.. I would reorder from One Stop Poppy as I wouldn't necessarily think it was there fault that two varieties look like they did not germinate.

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Longest-Lasting Flowers for Arrangements?
Any suggestions for long-lasting cut flowers would...
christy51274
Cutting Stocks
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me?...
petal978
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
Bright Light Cosmos Never Again
This is the second year in a row that my bright light...
weld
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
Sponsored Products
Yellow Lines Embroidered Flat Sheet - Twin/Twin XL
Crane and Canopy
Broadway Linear Crystal Chandelier by James R. Moder
$750.00 | Lumens
Progress Lighting AirPro 2-Light Antique Bronze Ceiling Fan Light P2621-20EBWB
$26.78 | Home Depot
T3 Source Shower Showerhead Replacement Filter
$25.00 | FRONTGATE
Juno Lighting Hardware Pro-Series 17 in. Black Jumper Cord JC3-17-BL
$12.97 | Home Depot