weigelia

Noni MorrisonMay 5, 2005

OK, folks, what's the secret? I have had msierable luck with weigelia and I Have 5 colors of it coming into bloom including white for a wedding tomorrow. How do you post- treat it after cutting so the flowers don't turn brown? (I know, I Should have asked this a few days ago) Do the flowers have to be fully open, just opening or does it make a difference? I am assuming I should cut into warm water with flower food.

Anyone tried cutting wisteria on the vines? I have a gorgeous white perfumed one that I would like to twine brances of up a bare tree for the wedding. (Mine needs serious pruning anyhow!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharonsgarden(zone 7)

I have a pink one. I had never cut it before this year. So, I cut two branches; one had two open, the other had 1/2 or more open. I just cut them into water and split the stems on the end. The one that only had a few florets open is looking great. The other one looks like it's on it's last legs. I did not use any preservatives at all in either one.

I have a white one, too, and will try the same thing with it. Hopefully, I will have the same results.

I have never cut wisteria, so no help there.

Sharon

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 7:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noni Morrison

POST REPORT

I did cut the white weigelia with open flowers into warm treated water and they held up grea tthis time including being hauled in a pickup for 3 miles- (kept under 20 mph!) to the wedding. THe Wisteria lost a lot of its flowers in handling but stil had enough to twine gloriously and smell heavenly!

I have discovered that weigelia needs the flowers mostly open to hold up. So treating it as I do my other woodies worked this time. Perhaps the earlier times when I had such failures with it were when it was not open yet or too mature when cut. The white does tend to turn brown within about 3 days so not terribly good for sales but fine for a wedding. Will use more of it this weekend. NOt my deep pink is in full bloom.

Bookmark   May 12, 2005 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
Cutting Stocks
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me?...
petal978
cold hardy kiwi
looking for a male and female cuttings to start cold...
juststartingout
Straw for mulch?
Hello everyone, I am considering using straw for mulch...
Fundybayfarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™