Anyone grow thimbleweed?

paveggie(z5-6)May 8, 2005

When moved to a new house, found a clump of thimbleweed (Anemone virginia or A. cylindrica pictured in National Audubon Field Guide of NA Wildflowers) growing beside a flower bed the first spring. Not knowing what it was at the time, I carefully kept all the seed pods trimmed out the first season. In the process, discovered that they make an interesting green "cut" mixed in with market bouquets. Flowers don't hold up. Guide says 2-3' but with some extra moisture last year they were closer to 4 or more.

Plant is perennial but I saw no volunteers at first. (There are a few other thin,wild ones in nearby woods.) This spring, however, found several young plants near the original. Have them perking along in the greenhouse to field plant one of these days. Curious if anyone has used these?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paveggie(z5-6)

Apparently not; I'm adding this to get it moving down the list. Seed planted in GH was very slow, but eventually came up nicely.

Bookmark   May 18, 2005 at 5:54PM
soulfulbliss(z6 KY)

Kinda new to the site but saw your post. I've got thimbleweed growing near my house and have thought about growing some myself. Can you help me with any observations about transplanting or seed collection and growth?

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 8:23PM
paveggie(z5-6)

Soufulbliss -- just saw your posting. Will e-mail you privately with observations. Have found the plant to be pretty carefree. I just harvested one mature seed head at the end of the season. There was quite a lot of seed.

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
Please recommend cut flowers
I have two spots open in my raised bed for two plants....
mshelenlu
cold hardy kiwi
looking for a male and female cuttings to start cold...
juststartingout
High temps reducing cuts?
I am in my second year of growing cut flowers for farmers'...
Mike_PP11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™