flower preservative - yes or no?

tellmeMay 7, 2005

Zinnias don't do well in preservative? It is wasted on sunflowers? What else would be better off without preservative? I know lilies came under discussion but mine seem to benefit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anniew(4-5/PA)

I use preservative on zinnias, sunflowers and lilies...Ann

Bookmark   May 7, 2005 at 2:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerfarmer

tellme,

I posted this response to zinnias and preservative solution on April 22:

The only flower we have learned that does not like hydrating solution or preservatives is zinnia. Zinnias don't like sugar. They actually do best in dionized distilled water. The University of North Carolina has done some pretty indepth research on this particular flower. Zinnias are sensitive to boron, which some cities have in their tap water. As far as handing out the preservative packets, customers do appreciate them. We give packets of bulb preservative for bouquets with lilies, glads and dahlias (which are actually tubers). We give the regular preservative for all other bouquets. For, the growers bunches of zinnias we always recommend the distilled water.

As far as the single stem sunflowers such as Sunbright, Pro Cut, Sunny, etc., we don't use preservatives. These sunflowers last so long that we have found it really isn't necessary. We had a bucket left from one of our markets. We set it on a bench in front of our barn in direct sunlight. We never changed the water or did anything to those sunflowers; and, they lasted a good 10 days.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 8:23AM
More Discussions
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
High temps reducing cuts?
I am in my second year of growing cut flowers for farmers'...
Mike_PP11
Please recommend cut flowers
I have two spots open in my raised bed for two plants....
mshelenlu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™