'Pink Floyd' and 'Le Baron'

misslucindaJanuary 8, 2008

Based upon a friends urging that I order early, I made a number of hasty purchases which don't go with my color scheme. I've also checked my tubers and have found that I have about a gazillion "Babylon Bronze" tubers - a most beautiful, prolific Melon-colored dinnerplate formal decorative.

Anyone thee have extra Floyds and Barons which they would swap for BBronze? Poochella....?

ML

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vikingcraftsman

No but my birthday is the 9 of December.

Bookmark   January 8, 2008 at 1:58PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

HAHA! Good one Viking!!

I ordered the dahlias that 'blew my hair back' (as in: whatever blows your hair back) but they don't really go together. I am in a community plot so hopefully I don't make my fellow gardeners nauseous by the color clash.
I have Wheels coming and Honka and a big white one and Pennsgift (Always wanted to grow a great big 'un). Lavender pink does NOT go next to the bright reds and yellow of the other two. I am growing cutting flowers so I will have to space the dahlias far apart and put in some annuals to help the color transition along, if that is possible.

Bookmark   January 25, 2008 at 1:50PM
dahliagardener

Dahlias never clash- I've done lots of bouquets with oranges, pinks, reds etc all in together & they all look great. Was at a wedding this year where the bride chose orange, red & purple & they all went together very well. If your fellow gardeners complain just tell them they're behind times & you're on the cutting edge of the newest fashions in color!!

Bookmark   January 28, 2008 at 1:12AM
pdshop(5)

I agree. Dahlias never clash. I am doing hot, hot, hot colors this year. I was always a pink person before so people will be surprised. Can't wait and hope I don't have white fly this year!

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 12:11PM
busy-girl

Hi ML, Let me have a look ...I think I grew le Baron last year (I don't dig my tubers up) I will do some digging and see if there is anything there...occasionally I loose one here or there! If you can wait a little bit till its not to frosty....by the way I am in Canada ...How are they about shipping to the U.S. (which is where I gather you are)
Jan

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 3:35PM
misslucinda

Hi Jan--

Sure, no one ships until March and that's only with special insulating wrapping--I think the norm is April. Please stay in touch after you go through your babys. My Babylon Bronze's are really a great cutting flower, a prolific grower and over-winters well (which is why I have so many!). Not aware of any problem in shipping from Canada to New York.

BTW I agree that it's hard to find a dahlia bouquet combination which clashes despite colors which leap and spin round the color wheel. However, I obstinately keep putting many of my dahlias in a long mixed border which runs in front of the house and main entrance and color consistency there matters to me--at least.

ML

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 4:38PM
busy-girl

ML Sounds great! If there is one there in March-April you can have it! And yes I would LOVE to try your babylon bronze since I only grow them for cutting (and my own enjoyment of course) If there are any other varieties you are looking for let me know!
Jan

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 7:27PM
dahliagardener

You have to get an agri. inspection & a Phytosanitory Certificate to ship from Canada to the US & the other way,too. Otherwise they'll just confiscate the pkg at the border & destroy it.

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 11:37PM
Poochella(7 WA)

Miss Lucinda, Sorry, I only got two tubers off Le Baron and need to keep them. Keep up the search though, it's worth it!

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 1:17AM
misslucinda

Well, thanks for the info dahliagardener. Rats.

ML

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™