My new planted Mexican Lime. Help.

TracyPaleoSeptember 17, 2012

I just planted my new Mexican Lime tree and it is dropping. Not, sure what is going on? Can anyone help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Probably transplant shock; just make sure it is adequately watered; and after 2-3 weeks you can give it some good citrus fertilizer. The abscence of fertility encourages the roots to grow seeking food and water; after the roots grow, then the leaves and branches will start and those need food.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 3:29PM
TracyPaleo

Thank you!

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 3:42PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Check the moisture content of the original rootball. (Stick a finger in it.) Likely it's dry.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 7:58PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Concur with John. Transplant shock. Lots of water, shade in the hot AZ afternoon sun until it recovers. One you see signs of recovery, fertilize.

Patty S.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 7:59PM
TracyPaleo

Thank you. This is what it looked like this morning. Yikes! The moisture content of the original rootball was dry. So, I gave the rootball water. I put shade up for it this morning too. I just pray it does the trick.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 10:28AM

Oh boy. MORE WATER. Soak that tree. What kind of soil is the tree planted in? Do you know how quickly draining your soil is? Is it mostly sand, clay, calciche? I would make sure you fill that well at least 3 times. Make sure your soil is moist at least 24" down. Spray your leaves to help cool off and be sure to give your little tree some shade over the next couple of weeks.

Planting in the dead heat of an AZ summer is probably not the best time to put any plant in the ground, even a citrus tree. I often will avoid putting trees in the ground out here in S. California at this time, and I'm only 6 miles from the ocean. This is just a very dry, shocked little tree.

That being said, citrus are very resilient. Just keep this tree hydrated and cool. You may lose leaves, don't worry. As the tree recovers, you'll see new flush. Don't fertilize until you see definite signs of recovery.

Patty S.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:24PM
TracyPaleo

Hi Patty,

I mixed cactus soil with the ground soil. Also, I checked for drainage before planting and it drains well. When I water it with 2 gallons it soaked it up real fast. The ground is moist . Thank you so much.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 2:16PM

Okay. No need to amend your soil unless your soil is particularly alkaline (some parts of AZ have pretty alkaline soils, and some amendments with organic materials and soil sulfur may be necessary.) You're better planting in your native soil, and top dress with compost. Very good that you checked your drainage. So, definitely let's get that little tree very well soaked. Monitor your soil moisture. It should be moist (not soaking wet, but moist) 18" down. If your soil starts to dry, then it's time to water, again. A good long drink, enough of a soak to moisten the soil down 24". So, for you in AZ with well draining soil in the heat of the summer, that might mean a good soak 3 times a week. Just monitor your soil moisture to know. Keep us posted as to how your little tree fares.

Patty S.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 9:52PM
TracyPaleo

Thank you Patty, John and everyone!

My little tree is coming back! I thought I was going to drown it with water but my little tree love it! I am so happy!!!

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 2:57PM

Great, Tracy! You can see it has perked up. Don't worry about the leaf drop. Give it a week or so, then put down some Arizona's Best Citrus fertilizer after first soaking well (never fertilize a dry tree.) Rake up your dead leaves to prevent fungal growth. Lastly, mulch your little tree to converve soil moisture. Keep the mulch away from the trunk by about 6 inches to prevent foot rot. And, make sure you create a nice well around your tree, so when you water your tree, the water runs out towards the canopy edge (that's the drip line and where your feeder roots reside.) You want to keep the water away from the trunk. Continue to widen your water well as the canopy expands :-)

Patty S.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 8:54PM
TracyPaleo

Will do Patty. I already removed the leaves and the rocks I had holding the umbrella. Left the umbrella firmly in the ground after the dirt settled in place. There was baby cock roaches already eating on the dead leafs so I put down Garden Safe Ground Crawling Killer with Diatomaceous Earth powder. I hope the roaches don't eat citrus trees. I powdered very lightly around away from tree. I will follow your directions and THANK YOU so MUCH! I will keep you updated.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
what kind of lemon orange mix is this?
the inside is not like a lemon. it can be peeled easily...
preppystud
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™