pairing with dahlias?

greenrnJanuary 11, 2007

Looking forward to my first dahlia experience this summer - what pairs nicely with dahlias? If possible I'd like continual color, or at least something with nice foliage, so maybe I need an early summer bloomer.

I prefer perennials but could be talked into annuals ...

The dahlias I ordered are a deep red, a white with red tips and a peachish shade.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

I like upright things: early liatris, lilies, glads, then later on,cushiony lower things like mums and asters. But mostly, I like dahlias :)

Bookmark   January 17, 2007 at 8:36PM
ashli

What about Roses?...I'm planning on adding Dahlias to my Rose beds (here and there) My two favorites together.

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 11:52AM
jeannie7

The only trouble with trying to companion a dahlia is ...just where the heck is the dahlia going to stop growing.
A plant put in the wrong exposure next to a dahlia plant might be one that is needing to grow well in shade.

Personally, I have monarda growing next to 4 dahlia plants....that is, when I put them back into the ground..and the monarda I have to keep from growing into the dahlia....but that's a simple matter.
In front...toward more of the sun, I have an Annabelle hydrangea.
My iris, lilies, peonies, oriental poppies are all long gone from the scene so they don't offer any hindrance.
My yellow loosestrife in front is loose enough that the dahlia doesn't interfere with...and the black eye susans
are far enough away. Same with my oriental lilies.

All these are substantial plants in their own right so they tough it out with the dahlia.

Bookmark   February 23, 2007 at 4:24PM
greenrn

thanks jeannie, your last point is well taken - I'll look for something that can stand its own ground - no pun intended.

Bookmark   March 6, 2007 at 2:08AM
raul_in_mexico

Ashli, unless you are planning on planting dwarf and miniature dahlias that can be used as ground cover I don´t think that dahlias are a good companion for roses, they can get quite large and tall ( like that 10 ft tall 3 feet wide monster that grows every summer in my garden ) shading everything and anything around it, miniatures and dwarfs don´t grow that tall and wide. But still they are beautiful enough to be considered.

Bookmark   March 6, 2007 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
About anemone-flowered Dahlias?
Hello friends of mine wanted to get a certain anemone-type,...
linaria_gw
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™