Enough time to plant any of these?

chilipete(7)May 3, 2009

This is my first year really starting any plants from seed. After reading this forum, I decided to start a very small cutting garden for my backyard. At the beginning of March, I planted a bunch of seeds in my garage under some lights. Some of them have done really well, but I have lost a fair amount, mainly due to inexperience. The ones that survived are now planted in the garden. I was hoping to start a second batch, but I didn't know if it was too late. Since I've never done this before, I have no idea how long it takes from the time you plant a seed until the time they start to flower. Do I have time to plant any of the following and still have a decent flowering season?

cosmos seashells

calendula bon bon

aster mixed powderpuffs or crego

marigold mumsy gold

zinnia benarys or peppermint

salvia

Thanks for any advice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_b(z6 MO)

It is not too late for cosmos or zinnias. I believe some growers plant them several times each season. I am planting my orange and yellow zinnias in a few weeks. My pink, coral, rose and white are in the ground.

I am usure of the remaining ones.

Good luck.

Teresa

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 7:54PM
bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)

I agree with teresa about the cosmos and zinnias, and I would also add marigolds to that also.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 12:31AM
hepatica_z7

Calendula will also probably bloom in time, especially as the weather cools off toward fall. I would suggest direct seeding all of these, if you can keep the ground moist until they germinate. They are all pretty fast at that, so you shouldn't have much hassle from planting them where you want them to grow.

Are you in S. Carolina? That would probably give you time for the salvia as well. The asters are more iffy, since they would have to put on a lot of growth in the hot weather. I don't think asters like that.

Best of luck!
Hepatica

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 5:33PM
chilipete(7)

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll get started planting this weekend.

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
preparing very weedy area for next year's cutting garden
This year because of a host of unfortunate events and...
nancy0903
What (more tropical) flowers to grow in uk
So I want to grow a load of flowers in most of the...
mushibu10
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™