Kalanchoe thyrsiflora Flapjacks

nana8(5)November 17, 2012

I brought this large plant in for the Winter, and it is forming an array of seedheads. Will they germinate if I plant them in a succulent mix?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Picture(s) would be nice and helpful...

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 8:52AM
lzrddr(91360)

Kalanchoe 'Flapjacks' is K luciae, not thyrsiflora, by the way.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:48PM
mfyss

Seeds of Kalanchoe are, in my experience, very rare. The plants produce lots of flowers, but fertilization is unlikely. I hope that you give the many 'seeds' a chance and determine if they are fertile. I would guess that they will not germinate. Yale

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:55PM
nana8(5)

I hope these pictures will open. Thanks for all your help, as far as the name on the tag from Proven Selections (Proven Winners selections) it lists and shows a picture of Flap Jack as Kalanchoe thyrsiflora. I am certainely no expert, just reading the tag. Oops the first picture is turned sideways.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 2:08PM
nana8(5)

what am I dong wrong?

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 2:34PM
nana8(5)

seed pots first then the rest of the plant, sideways

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 2:37PM
mfyss

If flower petals are bright yellow, it is K. thyrsiflora; if pale yellow with a rosy tint, it is K. luciae. Yale

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 3:01PM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

Like Yale said...:D ...and those are not seed pods (as you posted earlier), but bloom buds! =) Hope they open for you indoors! Nice plant! Interesting, I have not seen buds on these with carpels on them as long as on yours!!

When mine were growing inflorescence (Kalanchoe luciae)~click for larger view:

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 5:06PM
lzrddr(91360)

those photos above are all of Kalanchoe luciae, not thyrsiflora. K thyrsiflora, as one can see from several previous threads on this site, is a very rare plant. I have never actually seen one offered for sale except at the Huntington, where they have several growing in their cactus garden. K luciae is a much more interesting and beautiful plant, though, so be glad you have what you have and not the much rarer but less interesting K thyrsiflora. mfyss is correct that the flowers of K thyrsiflora are yellow while those of K luciae are white... I just happened to photograph some of the Huntington's K thyrsifloras flowering last week

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 4:45PM
lzrddr(91360)

Caught some of their Kalanchoe luciaes in flower at the same time

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 3:01AM
nana8(5)

Thanks so much for all the info. I
really never expected it to flower. What a surprise. It was nice in the full sun on the deck all Summer, and had a nice pink edge to the leaves. Now I am glad that I brought it in for the winter.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 11:09PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

If one cuts the spent flower stalk off later after all is done with, The remaining plant will go into baby making mode and one will have many babies to spread around the all the suckers that grow off the base. I cut away several babies and left three that are growing very happily. This is before I cut the suckers off.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 11:47PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

This Kalanchoe is one I have great difficulty keeping alive through the winter here in Berkeley, it just doesn't like all the rain we get in winter in combination with the cooler temperatures. Usually starts rotting out on me well before it even starts to flirt with any frosts. I wish I had a good spot to shelter it from the rains, but unfortunately that valuable real estate is given over to orchids and other more valuable plants...

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 3:11AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Our winters are usually dry but too cold so I bring it in on the few days and nights that it is.. It has to live in a pot. I guess you need to have it protected from the rain. Perfection is not at hand. Would planting it on a hillside or on a mound make a difference? here, It will live to about 28 unharmed but below that the leaves get harmed, It will come back from the roots till about 26. Nice to know about the cold wwet. That will happen together on a rare occasion. I love to leave them outside for the winter glory. I whish that I would bare up to stress with such grace.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 8:35AM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

OMG, be still my heart, that is absolutely gorgeous, if mine even gets close to that color I'll be a happy camper.

Annette

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 2:15PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Gosh, Wanton, really stunningly beautiful colors, thanks for the Show!!

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 3:33PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

The setting winter sun did set it on fire. We are having a glorious fall. Warm and dry. Not great on the water table but good for my succulents.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
March blooms (2015)
March is here...what succulents do you have blooming? Not...
rina_
hen and chicks not faring well indoors--- suggestions?
Hi, Even as a child, I usually had hen and chicks outdoors...
iaskedforwater
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
Echeveria leaves falling off and stem turning dark?
Hello, I'm new on this website and could use some help...
adelalis
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™