sunbright supreme sunflowers are too short

rita2004(8)May 2, 2005

My question is what am I doing wrong with them that they get only 18-20" and bloom. I am growing in composted beds and they have plenty of water. I thought they would get at least 4'tall. Help!!!!!!!!!! Another comment about Peach Passion. They look like little scrubs to me. They are planted right next to other sunflowers that are 5-7' tall. Do they need something extra? Has anyone had luck growing pretty peach passion sunflowers and if you did what did you do? I like the color and would like to be able to grow them. Would appreciate any growing advise. Thanks and please send rain to our area of Texas.

Rita

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sherri1(z7 TX)

Rita,
My experience w/the sunbright series is that they are not day length neutral. They're supposed to be-but I have not found them to be so. Because of this, they have a tendency to "bolt" during shorter day conditons-spring and fall. Later plantings of this variety will likely do well for you. Last fall I found extra fertilizer helped keep some of my less day length neutral suns from bolting, so you might try poring on the fertilizer. So far I have found eversun and superior sunset to be the best day length neutral suns.

No advise on peach passion-I had the same disappointing experience w/them last yr.

Believe me-I'm hoping for rain too!!!

Sherri

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 2:01AM
rita2004(8)

Thanks Sherri, I think this might be the answer because I can't figure why they are so short and blooming. I am growing superior sunset and they are just great. Another two varieties I am having good sucess with is Full Sun and Pro Cut Orange. These are good florist tall varieties but I am looking for that just right bouquet type and havn't had perfect sucess yet. Thanks

Rita

Bookmark   May 3, 2005 at 6:48AM
ddunbar(z5 IN)

I tried Peach Passion last year and they were a flop here, too. Sounds like this variety was developed and tested for a microclimate.
DD

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
Cutting Stocks
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me?...
petal978
Growing zinnias and ranunculus for wedding
Hello, I am planning on growing the necessary flowers...
Logan-Jess
Peony shaped flowers
I have fallen in love, again, with peony flowers. (...
qbush
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™