Dahlias in containers

jmmedeiros(z9USA,CALIFORNI)January 28, 2009

Hello,

This is the first time I am growing dahlias.I bought a bag of "bulbs to blooms",dutch grown dahlia bulbs in Costco.It has 5 Hawaii Dalia bulbs and 5 Yellow Eye Dahlia bulbs.I have 7 large terracota pots of 1.5 to 2.0 feet diameter and 1.5 feet tall.I would like to know how many dahlias I can plant in each pot.I am thinking about using "cactus and citrus" potting mix or regular cactus mix.I would like to know if any of these two potting mixes are ok for growing dahlias in pots.Or I would like to know if there is dahlia potting mix commercially available.I am planning to place the pots in my sunny patio without any saucers for good drainage.I appreciate your info on this subject.Thank you.Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

Your pots are big enough for dahlias. Hawaii is 4 ft tall for me, so a stake would be recommended when you plant it, or plant it next to some kind of support- fence, deck uprights, etc. I hated the crosswires in the pot and found them unnecessary.

Don't know cactus soil mix. It sounds sandy. In pots in a sunny location, one enemy will be moisture loss. I used Soil Moistening polymers in 1/3 compost, 1/3 topsoil (with more compost in it) and 1/3 potting mix. Still, on the hottest days in black pots they needed water daily, once up and growing.

They should grow well and the tubers do nearly as well in a pot as in the garden. On the taller (4ft) varieties the foliage was more sparse, but the flowers were fine. I might have missed topping those, though. 3 footers are great in pots.

My opinion would be to only put one Hawaii in each pot rather than crowd the tubers. Three would be too many, two would look funny. How tall is 'Yellow Eye?' If it's shorter, maybe you could do one Hawaii and two yellow eye in a triangle.

Do a search on growing dahlias in pots and you'll find more links that may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Dahlias in Pots from ADS site

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
Sponsored Products
Commercial Zone Riverview 1 Waste Container 25 Gallon Trash Can - Stainless Stee
$514.00 | Hayneedle
Porcelain Herbes de Provence Box
| Dot & Bo
Korver Leather Sofa - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
Global Amici Costa Oil and Vinegar Dispensers - Set of 2 - Z7CA200RS/2
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Chicago Cubs Thermocan
$14.99 | zulily
Enhancers: Custom Building Products Adhesives & Fillers Polyblend #60 Charcoal
$11.98 | Home Depot
Korver Leather Bench - Brighton Energy Pink