Weed Killer

rainydaywoman_z8(8)January 1, 2012

During my "Tropicalesque" garden period, I planted petasites in a raised bed so I could have large tropical leaves. So now I have petasites everywhere; they are very invasive. My question: I've read to never plant dahlias in soil with weed killer. I would like to use Roundup or its equivalent now to kill the petasites (they are runners from tubers and almost impossible to dig out). If I used weed killer now, would it be inactive by May, when I would plant dahlias? I'm planning a whole new large bed of nothing but dahlias. The rainy season has started here in Oregon, so that might help diffuse the weed killer. Or would it inactivate it? Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teddahlia

Round up has no residual effect on the soil and is inactive within days of spraying. You can spray it before you plant dahlias but it must be done in the Spring when weeds are starting to grow. I have sprayed it a week before I tilled and planted dahlias. Weeds do not look very dead at one week but they are definitely goners.

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 11:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rainydaywoman_z8(8)

Thanks for your input. Now I feel more confident. BTW: does anyone want petasite starts before I murder them all?

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
Storing tubers
So last year I stored my tubers in peat moss and cardboard...
leersa
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
Seeds or Tubers? Info needed.
So I am new to gardening in general and I am interested...
pinkkpearls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™