clarkia (farewell to spring)

Noni MorrisonJune 28, 2006

Anyone grown this as a cut? When do you pick them? They blossom from the bottom up and mine just have the first 4 or 5 blossoms at the bottom open. They have about 30" of foliage and potential bloom above that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowers4u(z6 OR)

Lizalily - I grew it by mistake one year and on purpose another year. It's a beautiful flower, but I had a tough time getting it to last very long before drooping. But that was in my early years of flower growing and I haven't added it to my regular list since then, due to eratic germination and the need for space for other more "valuable" flowers.

I'm interested to hear if others have similar results!

Wendy

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 5:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RobRoyOH5(z5 OH)

Lizalilly - Clarkia is an annual part of our flower program. We grow it in the hoophouse in half bags from bales of ProMix. It blooms with early peonies - georgous with Coral Charm. It hold up extremely well for us, takes refrigeration, and customers often still have it the following Sat. market. We grow Appleblossom Pink, from Thompson & Morgan. Salmon Queen is also wonderful, but I can no longer find the seed. I did grow one other one once - it didn't stand up or hold up.

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Bright Light Cosmos Never Again
This is the second year in a row that my bright light...
weld
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine in Flower Arrangement?
Will an ornamental Sweet Potato Vine Survive in a floral...
christy51274
Self seeding annuals in zone 4
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has had experience...
greenthumbon1hand
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™