Bearded Iris as cut flowers?

cottage_gardenerJune 20, 2006

I see a lot of members mention bearded iris in their market collections. Where I live, these plants are strictly bedding plants only as the blooms wither within 24 hours. What are some of the long-lasting varieties suitable for cut flowers?

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fundybayfarm(z5westernN.S.)

I use the large showy bearded iris in my bouquets, making sure that there are at least 4-5 buds, with one already open. I also tell my customers that as a bloom fades, to just snap off that one, and the others will open. One down side is the purple flowers as they wither, will leave a purple stain on either your hands, or a white table cloth should it fall off. I usually remind people of that. They are gorgeous in a bouquet, and when using them, I also put lots of other flowers around the iris to hold interest when the iris's are done. Right now I have siberian iris in many colors to go with them, white lychnis, astrantia, dianthus, painted daisy, valerian, trollius, tansy leaves, ect... The blooms of an iris are so beautiful, I don't think people mind the fact they have to pick off the spent blooms.
Cheryl

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 8:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noni Morrison

Some of my customers love iris and look forward to iris season. Others find them a bother...folks who don't want to take the time to groom their bouquet. So the subscription folks who love them get them when in bloom...long stalks with lots of buds. I occassionally will put a branch with maybe 3 buds in my smaller stand bouquets but onlyh in some of them so people can choose if they want them. I try to stay away from any of the really inky ones to sell. Plenty of bright colors that do not look so gruesome as they wither.

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
Straw for mulch?
Hello everyone, I am considering using straw for mulch...
Fundybayfarm
Cutting Stocks
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me?...
petal978
Self seeding annuals in zone 4
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has had experience...
greenthumbon1hand
David Austin roses for cutting
Hey helloo community I'm brand new to roses and am...
clemmielover
Sponsored Products
Elegant Flowers Tiffany Art Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
City Scene Spring Arbor 3-piece Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
Yellow Orange Flowers Drum Lamp Shade 13x15x11 (Spider)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Sanctuary Floral Upholstery Fabric in Bronze
FabricSeen
Contessa Small Ceiling Light
$450.95 | Bellacor
Dimples Table Lamp
$240.00 | Horchow
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs Caprice Animals Blue 4 ft. x
Home Depot
Red Kitchen Shears
$8.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for: