Pricing Wholesale Cut-Your-Own Flowers?

thinman(Z5 MI)June 27, 2011

A fellow flower-grower needs extras and will be cutting from my field. I'm thinking a fair price should be somewhere below wholesale since I'm not doing the cutting. Let's say I usually get 35 cents a stem from a florist for Sweet Williams, including cutting, bunching, and delivery. How cheap do you think I should go for my colleague?

ThinMan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flower_farmer(5/6 MI)

My opinion is you should keep the pricing consistent with the price you use for your florist sales. You are providing your colleague the opportunity to come into your flower field and pick the best locally grown flowers.

Hope all is well!

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 2:06PM
thinman(Z5 MI)

Hi Trish, I'm so glad to see that you are still looking in on us from time to time. I had a little problem in the form of a heart attack a month ago, so this year's flower growing has been put on hold. I was able to sell a lot of my starts, and my flower-growing friend is going to cut quite a few of the things that were already in the ground. Luckily, the business is small and only a hobby for me. I'll just relax this summer.

Thanks a lot for your valuable opinion. I hope all is well with you.

TM

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 6:45PM
trovesoftrilliums(5)

Sure hope you are feeling well TM.

Wondering what you decided to do on charging for someone to come and cut. I was thinking it might be easiest to do a bulk charge or charge per bucket...not sure how one might price it though.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 9:12PM
thinman(Z5 MI)

We settled on the price of $4 a bucket. There is a nearby farm that wholesales for $6 a bucket and they do the cutting, so $4 seemed fair, though low. Especially since the flowers were all going to waste anyway. I think if someone just dropped in out of the blue and asked to cut flowers I would ask for more.

Thanks for the good wishes.

TM

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Need help identifying this plant/flower
My wife bought a variety pack of seeds and this plant/flower...
carillon
David Austin roses for cutting
Hey helloo community I'm brand new to roses and am...
Clemmielover
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
Zinnia flower heads not growing large as expected
I planted a variety of zinnias this year....smoothies...
tizzylizzyloo
Growing zinnias and ranunculus for wedding
Hello, I am planning on growing the necessary flowers...
Logan-Jess
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™