How many Peonies to cut?

marbJune 11, 2008

I recently moved into a house that has many wonderful Peonies (I've stopped counting at 50!) and now know a fair amount about their care. I have not, however, run across any info about how many flowers can be cut from a single plant without harming it's next year's production. Does any cutting hurt the plant? Is there an optimal amount that should be cut? If anyone knows I would be most appreciative....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pudge 2b

I cut mine heavy, leaving only a few for myself. All of my peonies, however, have quite long stems that don't require me to take more than one set of leaves. I believe it's the foliage and not the blooms that's required for further flower production. Having said that, my peonies can reach 4' in height and I've pruned them down a bit after blooming. Cutting the flowers or pruning the foliage has never hurt the next year's blooms. The plants continue to expand and grow larger. I have 3 plants of an unknown variety, each in the ground about 10 years, and each has in excess of 100 buds forming.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
Longest-Lasting Flowers for Arrangements?
Any suggestions for long-lasting cut flowers would...
christy51274
High temps reducing cuts?
I am in my second year of growing cut flowers for farmers'...
Mike_PP11
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
What (more tropical) flowers to grow in uk
So I want to grow a load of flowers in most of the...
mushibu10
Sponsored Products
22-Inch Square Pewter and Papyrus Scripted Pattern Cotton Pillow Cover with Poly
$30.00 | Bellacor
Gold 2' x 3' Galaxy Collection Hand Woven Rug
$62.97 | Home Depot
Roma Square Outdoor Dining Table with Chairs Cover
$789.50 | FRONTGATE
New Super Kazak Morris Collection Oriental 2'x6' Red Hand Knotted Wool Rug H5945
BH Sun Inc
Horizontal Test Tube Vase
$26.99 | Dot & Bo
Jocelyn Gray Runner 2'6" x 8'
$229.00 | Horchow
Louis Poulsen | Pakhaus Pendant Light
$296.00 | YLighting
Kraus Illusio Chrome Single Lever Vessel Faucet
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™