Soil for Aloe Vera

val1(z4 UT)November 15, 2012

I have an aloe vera that I purchased this summer in a tiny pot. Well, needless to say it has grown fast and needs to be transplanted. What type of soil should I use? Is the commercial cactus soil okay to use? For my Christmas Cactus, I mixed my own using potting soil, pumice and perlite. I am anxious to get this one in a bigger pot since it keeps tipping over. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Use the mix you used on your CC, Val, but cut the soil amount with 50% pumice (preferred) or perlite (OK, but not as good as pumice). Don't water for a few days after you repot (when you've taken steps to removed old, dead roots from your plant, and also taking care not to J-root it when you put it in the soil). In just a few years (about 8 up here) you'll have this. This is this year's first flowering (spike began in June).

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 12:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
val1(z4 UT)

Thanks cactusmcharris. Your aloe is beautiful. I had never even thought about aloe plants blooming. I am going to try to get mine potted up tonight. I will have to bring the pumice in and let it warm up a little first. I also need to repot an Easter Cactus which should have been done last spring. Thanks again.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 4:12PM
More Discussions
Help! what's wrong with these succulents
They are with me just only for 2 months. Their leaves...
hm825
help with mixed planters =D
i like to make little "gardens' in small pots,...
carolinavalladares21
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
Rosary plant or string of hearts help
Can I propagate from leaf? I also received a tubular....
chicagardens
Can you please name this succulent (Qatar)
This was growing along with cactus it has red ripe...
maufie123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™