Where do you buy rare plants online?

robinpla(10b)November 12, 2012

What are you favorite internet resources for buying plants? I have a long wishlist of plants that ebay seems to fail me on :) Just wondering if you know of any good sellers online. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoeCaudex

Being in the UK I only have ebay as my main option. There is a site based in Europe called Succulent Tissue Culture. I think they grow succulents from tiny tissue samples and it's all very sciencey!

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 8:49AM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

I love Arid Lands, I am lucky enough to be able to go shop there in person, and they have online shopping available too. Another great place is Miles2go.

JoJo

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 8:54AM
mrlike2u(**)
    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 10:05AM
cactusmcharris

Rare as in rare (and expensive)?

A couple of places come to mind:

http://www.rare-succulents.com/

is where I would go if I had 9K or so in disposable income for a day or so to spend.

I've never ordered from them, but they look to have nice plants at a superior price:

www.miniatree.com

and of course The Great Petaluma Desert deserves equal spacing with the first recommendation - some plants have they!

www.gpdesert.com

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 12:32PM
mrlike2u(**)

Charris : There are some nicely established plants found on all of your provided links.
If Robin is meaning lower budget rare or not as established rare www.mesagardens.com comes to mind.

Would also like to add a small plug for Steve Hammer who doesn't have an order online page but often does some sales by emailing..

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 3:11PM
Ron4310

Anywhere to buy on line in Canada besides Valley Succulents?

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 9:03PM
cactusmcharris

mr2,

Quite right - I was equating rare with expensive, which is true but can be not true.

Another nursery (for the wee Agaves, and big ones too, as well as bulbs, bulbs, bulbs) is Starr Nursery. He's got a new Agave book which I will get next year (I would have gotten it this year but someone forgot it).

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave Starrs

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 10:01PM
robinpla(10b)

Sweet everybody!! I have bookmarked them all and even managed to knock off two plants on my wishlist at Arid Lands :) Rare Succulents is a dangerous website!! But I am more interested in young rare plants so I will stay away from that website :) And by rare I mean plants that you can't really buy at normal nurseries or Home Depot :)

Thanks everybody
/Robin

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 11:22PM
cactusmcharris

Ron,

Annette and Linda from the Island know of a few places in Vancouver, but I personally don't know of any others. However, there are a number of Canadian online nurseries that feature alpines, but if you're looking for Ariocarpus or Adromischus I fear you may be out of luck. On the bright side, Kelowna's not that far from the border...

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 7:54PM
cactusmcharris

Aha, here we go, but you'll have to wait until April 2013.

In Burnaby

http://www.wigplants.com/

There are others, so I hope the ladies can lead you to the promised land.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 7:57PM
Ron4310

I have ordered plants from the U.S. and had them sent to my family in Walla Walla and then pick them up when we go down there. I did get a few when I was in California last summer. In fact I "borrowed" a piece of Crassula Ovata from along the city sidewalk in Morro Bay.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 11:58PM
linda_denman_island(8b)

Ron, Phoenix Perennials might be worth looking at if you're into agaves, yuccas, and sedums. They started doing mail order a year or two ago. The owner is a great guy and I suspect he will increase the selection of agaves over time. I ordered from Plants Delights once before and am tempted to do so again this year, but, of course, it gets expensive when ordering from Canada.

I finally orderd a couple of plants from Jamie at Valley Succulents, who is also great to deal with, but will pick the plants up in Comox in the spring. Finally have (well almost) Aloe plicatilis and Sedum palmeri Jeff! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Phoenix Perennials

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 10:42AM
cactusmcharris

Linda,

Another reason for an island visit - Jamie's the gentleman from whom I got my Agave guadalajarana and Cotyledon undulata, from which you got the first cutting and Colleen will get the second.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 11:27AM
linda_denman_island(8b)

Jeff, I love it. The Cotyledon and all the plants sent are looking good - everything has good roots except for one of the aeoniums, but that's just a matter of time. I hope the plants that went your way are okay. I wish Jamie had ovatifolia!

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 2:49PM
cactusmcharris

They are OK, Linda, but there's not a lot of movement on the plant front (I'm hoping those little Opuntia pads are rooting as we speak). Now I want all Cotyledons, at least all of the funky ones.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 11:08PM
linda_denman_island(8b)

Hopefully, everything takes off in the spring. I have the narrow leafed form - I think it's longifolia - but you have that one already, right? Maybe that doesn't classify as funky, but I really like it.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:14PM
cactusmcharris

That one's most certainly part of the funky club.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 7:45PM
linda_denman_island(8b)

Well if you don't have one already you will get one.:-)

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
Echeveria help! Flowers prematurely shrivel
My poor little Echeveria has been trying to flower...
ceourso
Finally not ashamed of this end of the garden.
So this is one of the projects I made a year ago and...
dephora
amazing looking succulent too good to be true?
Anyone have any naysay about ordering from online?...
Britni Rice
ID please: Aloe hybr.
Hello, Rosemarie once id-ed this Aloe, but I forgot....
hablu
Large Jade Whack and Repot
Hello GW, I got this plant a few days ago, and have...
americangolden
Sponsored Products
Compact Herb Stand
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Alessi | TI04S24 MU Cutlery Set, 24 Piece
YLiving.com
3'x5' Vegetable Dyes Antiqued Heriz Recreation Oriental Rug Hand Knotted Sh20258
1800 Get A Rug
Six-shelf Metal Cookware Stand
Overstock.com
Fosters Point Planter With River Cane And Grass
Beyond Stores
Cactus! Mug by Alessi
$82.00 | Lumens
&'Costa | Bambu 3 Light Pendant
YLighting
Home Decorators Area Rug: Mandarin Brown and Terra 4' 6" x 6' 6" Oval
$77.99 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for: