tuber clump

pdshop(5)February 6, 2008

I just received a catalog from a company that sells dahlias and other plants. They showed the size of the clump they send for one dahlia. It has about 6 tubers on it? I receive one tuber when I order from suppliers. No problem with that. My questions is, wouldn't that send up too many stems?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Yes, but if you think about it, you would be able to split the tuber and get several plants out of one clump. That is a bonus. :)

Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 9:28AM
dahliagardener

Most of the time when you get a clump from a supplier some- if not all of the tubers are broken at the neck & have to be cut off because they won't do anything except sit there & rot. If you're lucky you'll get one or 2 that are still attached & will grow. These you can divide. You want to keep the stems down to one per plant.
When you get a nice solid, eyed-up tuber from a dahlia supplier you're going to get a nice plant & be just as far ahead as that clump with the broken necks.

Bookmark   February 8, 2008 at 4:32PM
pdshop(5)

Thanks. It was a surprise when I saw the clump variety as I have always used Swan and a couple of others and it is one tuber.

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 5:43PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

ThatÂs interesting: IÂve only bought from stores and have always received a clump. Sometimes thereÂs some loose tubers in the bag but most are attached to one dry stem.

WhatÂs the rationale behind wanting just one stem? IÂm not trying to exhibit large flowers, or have a tall plant, but am more interested in having a short and bushy plant. I thought having multiple or branched stems would lead to that.

Bookmark   March 23, 2008 at 5:56PM
dahliagardener

The more stems you have the less work the plant has to do to try to propagate itself so the fewer blooms & tubers it will put out. One sturdy stem with the branches that come off of it are far better than multipul spindly stems.
Ellie

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 12:22AM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Ah! So my goal should be one stem, then pinch to induce branching on that?

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 2:13PM
ayfudad2(Seattle, WA)

That is correct. But when the stem has about 3 sets of leaves (they are in pairs), then "stop" the growth to force it to become like a bush. You should get about 6 laterals to grow which will become flowers. If you want long stem (I do for the shows), then you disbud when 3 or 4 buds start to form. You want to keep the center bud.

Dale

www.pugetsounddahlias.org

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Please Help Identify Dahlia
I'm looking for help identifying the dahlia in this...
petesf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™