Lemon Balm foliage

goodscents(z5 MI)June 29, 2006

I think I read about using lemon balm foliage as a filler on this forum. I tried using it and had some problems with wilting. I first tried early in the season and it wilted quickly and badly. Then I tried again last week thinking maybe the more mature leaves would hold up better. This second try did fare somewhat better but still not as good as I would like.

I have tried using commercial hydrating solutions and they seem to make no difference.

Anyone have anthing to relate about using lemon balm?

Thanks,

Kirk

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowers4u(z6 OR)

Kirk - I love the foliage. I think (not an expert here), that it needs to get in a bucket at least half filled with water - I do use preservative and attempt (don't always make it) to strip the bottom third of leaves. It stays in the cooler very well! When it wilts, its usually because I didn't get it in the water right away. It usually lasts quite well. I pick it when its mature, even when its formed the seed heads! Keep trying!

Wendy

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 5:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fundybayfarm(z5westernN.S.)

I never could get it to last either. But oregano and spearmint hold up very nicely. I'll have to give lemon balm another shot.
Cheryl

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 6:05AM
More Discussions
What (more tropical) flowers to grow in uk
So I want to grow a load of flowers in most of the...
mushibu10
Self seeding annuals in zone 4
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has had experience...
greenthumbon1hand
Longest-Lasting Flowers for Arrangements?
Any suggestions for long-lasting cut flowers would...
christy51274
Please recommend cut flowers
I have two spots open in my raised bed for two plants....
mshelenlu
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™