Conditioning spuria iris for mixed bouquets?

phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)June 18, 2008

My spurias are finally blooming after 3 years settling in. I want to include a few in a large bouquet of roses, daisies and other blooms next weekend (a co-worker is buying for a baby shower).

Do they have a sap like daffodils that hurts the other flowers? Can I cut them under water, and put immediately in a large vase with the roses and other perennials? Can I use Crysal floral food?

I want the bouquet to last as long as possible. My experience with including my siberian iris in mixed bouquets is that the blooms don't last more than a day or two without starting to look shabby.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

:0) Phyl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lisa_H OK(7)

I use them a lot in spring bouquets. I don't do anything special, cut the ends, stick them in the vase. My blooms generally don't last terribly long, but there are multiple buds on each stalk. I try to pick stems that only have one bloom open.

Here's a few photos of bouquets I have made with them:

Here's the spuria I have:

Lisa

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 12:03AM
phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)

Lisa,
Those are just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your info AND photos! I have 4 different spurias, and they are all finally starting to bloom this year. I planted them a few years ago. I used a few of them this past week in bouquets, though I have to admit, after just a day, the falls started to roll up like a scroll, which I didn't like. So I think if I use them in the future I will only put them in at the very last minute before I deliver them or they are picked up!
:0) Phyl

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 4:57AM
bfff_tx(z8b TX)

Phyl,
I cut mine just past pencil stage, slightly opening. Obviously condition like you would any other flower. As you know any flower cut fully open is aged and vase life reduced.
Cheers - Kim
Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Bright Light Cosmos Never Again
This is the second year in a row that my bright light...
weld
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine in Flower Arrangement?
Will an ornamental Sweet Potato Vine Survive in a floral...
christy51274
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
cold hardy kiwi
looking for a male and female cuttings to start cold...
juststartingout
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™