Will any of these grow?

LullabyF360February 14, 2013

I have wanted dahlias for ages. Since we are finally working on our porch, I was gratefully able to buy some. Only 3 bulbs came in the package (I bought 2 packages). These tubers had broken off. Upon close inspection a couple look to be sprouting, but what about the rest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve22802(7a VA)

Dahlia tubers must have an eye to sprout but unlike potato tubers dahlias do not have eyes all over the whole tuber. Dahlias only have eyes right where the tuber connects to the main plant stem. It is not uncommon for tubers to break away from the main plant stem and leave behind the eyes. When dividing dahlia clumps you must always carve away a bit of the stem to go with the tuber and even then it is possible to get a tuber with no eye. Your best bet now is to pot up all the tubers without visible eyes in a loose slightly damp soilless mix and put them somewhere warm. If their eyes don't swell and sprout then those tubers are useless for planting.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 8:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandolls(4)

In the spring after winter storage, If I dont see a sprout already forming, I move the tubers into plastic bags (which I leave open) with moist peat moss. If I dont get a sprout, then I dont waste the space that a pot takes up. I can put 6-8 tubers in each bag.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
large booms
I would like to kmow a variyey which will produce a...
paul584
Seeds or Tubers? Info needed.
So I am new to gardening in general and I am interested...
pinkkpearls
Dahlia may have got to wet - what to do?
I was a little sick the other day and I have a Dahlia...
pinkkpearls
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™