locating dahla tubers in San Antonio/Corpus Christie

LindainAlaska(3)February 26, 2014

We will be vacation in three weeks and driving from San Antonio to Corpus Christie - does anyone know of a place down there that I could get tubers, In can't do mail order because its too cold in AK right now and I haven's seen anything in the big box stores that I like.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CCvacation

I looked at vendor lists with no luck finding any in Texas. No dahlia associations, either. I know folk grow them down there, but the heat makes it tough.

Perhaps you could have a vendor mail tubers there in 2.5 weeks so you could carry it home on the plane? I've had things shipped to hotels before, but you have to stay on top of everything with multiple phone calls to minimize problems.

Or you could just have varieties shipped a bit later in the year when things start warming up...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia vendors, varieties, and growing articles

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 8:02AM
KarenPA_6b

I know Home Depot and Lowes carry dahlia tubers. If you have a Costco card, Costco also carries dahlias at a great price.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 2:48AM
CCvacation

I just talked to a small dahlia vendor about shipping in cold weather, and they said they're shipping dahlias to Alaska end of March, not anticipating any problems.

Another large dahlia vendor I called about delaying my March 3rd order due to below zero temps said that their peat-moss packing keeps them from freezing, and out of thousands sent last year during the cold months, only one grower called for replacements because of frozen tubers. That vendor replaced at no charge, so it's worth a shot if you want better choices.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Found Dahlias
I found some dahlias bulbs that my father used to grow....
JJRoo
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
Rebecca's World
I was wondering if any of you have grown the above...
maxyck
Prepping for winter
Hello! I am new to Dahlias, really to gardening in...
AubreyG
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™