How can you tell when yarrow has shed pollen?

steve22802(7a VA)June 2, 2009

In Specialty Cut Flowers (Allan Armitage) it says that Achillea should be harvested after the pollen is out of the flower to avoid drooping. So how can I tell when this is?

Thanks,

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bfff_tx(z8b TX)

Steve
I have always cut Yarrow when the center of the flower cluster has developed / aged. For the first time in the four years I've been growing it, I have seen pollen for the first time. Good time to look is in the morning, also the very best time to cut it. You'll see little bright yellow bits sticking up out of the center of each little flower in the cluster. I'm now letting more of the flower clusters develop on the stem than I used to when I sold to florists. Only downside to this is that the first flower cluster looks a little worse for wear.
This is one of those flowers that you need to experiment with and see what works for you. Let some flowers age and then cut and cut some immature and see how they hold up. There's nothing worse than cutting this one and within an hour all the flower heads bob their heads and nothing you do, revives it. Good Luck
Cheers Kim
Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 2:47PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Thanks Kim, I appreciate the advice. I'll look closely in the morning. I've had the drooping problem in the past when cutting yarrow for myself. Now that I'm cutting it to sell this season, I really need to avoid that problem. I'm mostly cutting Moonshine right now which is nice and stiff but I planted a big patch of the Colorado mix which is a different species (millefolium) and more prone to drooping.

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 4:23PM
Patty_WI(z4 WI)

Try putting them in the fridge for a couple of hours and the stems will stiffen right up. I do this for ammi (False Queen Ann's lace)and black or brown eyed susans. Also, it helps to cut in the A.M.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 6:27AM
steve22802(7a VA)

Thanks Patty, I'll give that a try tomorrow morning.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 2:59PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Well I tried Patty's suggestion and it did seem to help stiffen the stems up. But I also noticed that this white yarrow picked up a pink tinge after being in the preservative in the fridge all day. I'm using Jeanne's recipe: 2 tblsp. sugar, 2 tblsp. vinegar and 1 tsp. bleach per gallon of water. Maybe I don't need to use so much vinegar since I'm on city water? Do you think my preservative mix is too acidic? Would this cause the color shift toward pink?

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Bright Light Cosmos Never Again
This is the second year in a row that my bright light...
weld
Peony shaped flowers
I have fallen in love, again, with peony flowers. (...
qbush
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
David Austin roses for cutting
Hey helloo community I'm brand new to roses and am...
Clemmielover
Please recommend cut flowers
I have two spots open in my raised bed for two plants....
mshelenlu
Sponsored Products
George Kovacs Angle 36 3/4" Wide Bathroom Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
Sadie Wicker Outdoor Accent Table
Overstock.com
Hoppi Satin Nickel One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Marble Glass
$162.00 | Bellacor
Pacis Flushmount by Slamp
$1,414.40 | Lumens
Sheko Outdoor Cradle Chair
Grandin Road