Dutch Iris

kitkat_oregon(7)June 5, 2012

Do any of you grow dutch iris for your bouquets?. I planted these last fall and have harvested my first flowers, beautiful, but I wanted to know if these will perennialiize after I have cut them. I couldnt leave much leaf on the stems due to length requirements and when I bought the bulbs the company told me that I should treat them as annuals and call it good, but I have subsequently read that they will perennialize. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Kat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bfff_tx(z8b TX)

What size were your bulbs and what variety / ies did you grow. Some are shorter than others and the smaller sized bulbs do not produce the same sized flowers as a larger one.
If you were able to leave a couple of leaves there's a chance they'll bloom again for next year. Normally when I harvest, instead of cutting,I pull the flower, bulb and all. At 10 cents a bulb or so, it's easier to replant several thousand every year than hope they'll come back the following year.
Kim - BFFF

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 2:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitkat_oregon(7)

Hi Kim, thanks for the response. I have no idea what the variety was, it was a mix of the dark blue, pale blue, bright yellow and white and they were pretty big, mostly. Where do you get your bulbs? Thanks, Kat

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
Zinnias - wrong colors and curled petals
I planted a variety of zinnias this year, in raised...
Lily08
Please recommend cut flowers
I have two spots open in my raised bed for two plants....
mshelenlu
cold hardy kiwi
looking for a male and female cuttings to start cold...
juststartingout
Cutting Stocks
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me?...
petal978
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™