Harvesting Purple Majesty Millet

flowerchild08June 19, 2008

For you experienced growers, I am trying my hand with Purple Majesty Millet this year and have several plants now with seed heads. My question is, if I harvest the seed heads soon, will additional seed heads come again or is that it for the plant? These plants are no more than 24" tall and have relatively little in the way of blades/leaves. I feel as though I ought to wait awhile since these plants are supposed to get to 5' but I don't want to miss the window and end up being able to harvest nothing.

Would appreciate your experiences.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pudge 2b

If you wait to cut them, the spikes will form seeds (little balls). If you're cutting for drying, I've found the best time to cut is immediately after the pollen sheds and before the seeds form.

This seems early for spikes to have already formed. If, by chance, your plants were at all rootbound at any time prior to planting out, this could have something to do with the height of the plant and that they area already blooming.

The plant bulks up by growing more blades/stems at the base of the plant (stooling), which results in more spikes. Stooling usually results early on in the growth of the plant and not after spikes form.

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 12:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerchild08

Thanks Pudge - that was really helpful. I will cut them soon then, leaving one or two to salvage for seeds for next year's efforts.

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 5:58PM
More Discussions
please post your flower arrangement we love to see them
I have an Idea I will post some flower arrangements...
Lorna1949
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™