Size of tubers matter?

nofaves(3)March 12, 2007

Hello all. My first time last year I tried a dahlia tuber purchased from a big box store (pink topmix). I planted the whole mass in a pot, and was rewarded with an even bigger mass at summer's end. I've just checked my tubers, and most look well, yet I only have space to grow a couple this year (renting but moving to a home with a larger yard later this summer-yippee), and am wondering, when choosing which tuber to plant and taking into account I can see eyes on my selections, does a bigger tuber give a more robust plant than a smaller one? My inclination is to try one bigger and one smaller to experiment unless I'm lead otherwise by wiser opinions. Thanks in advance for you time, I've enjoyed reading all these informative posts.

L.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

Some of my large dinnerplate dahlias have surprisingly small tubers. Others have large ones. I think the quality of the soil you plant in will have significant bearing upon the size of your plant. That coupled with the genus of the dahlia are determining factors. Remember the genes of some dahlias will have them grow small, while others will grow fairly tall. I have planted several dahlias in large pots in the past, and moved them where I want them. You may decide to do just that in your situation.

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 10:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dahliameister(5 Maine)

Tuber size does not matter. You will get the same size plant from a 1" long tuber as a 10" long tuber. The genetics are in the tuber, I use the small tubers as I can fit them in styrofoam coffee cups to start them growing.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
Nick Sr. blooms
How many blooms (total) can one expect from a newly...
dan1018
Winter sunshine
With temps dipping subzero again this weekend, a little...
cicivacation
patience
it seems unfair that my stored dahlias suffered from...
daves10z7annv
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
Sponsored Products
Crystorama 922-WW Solaris Chandelier - Wet White - 9225-WW
$218.00 | Hayneedle
Wood Grain Glass Ensemble ORB/Hrdwr
PLFixtures
KOHLER Bathroom Ceramic/Impression 61 in. Vitreous China Double Vanity Top with
Home Depot
Duplex Wall Sconce by Zaneen
$283.68 | Lumens
Sand Medallion Tapered Lamp Shade 10x12x8 (Spider)
$59.99 | Lamps Plus
Village Green Chevron Drum Lamp Shade 16x16x13 (Spider)
$99.91 | Lamps Plus
Bamboo Rayon and Cotton Blanket
Grandin Road
Train Snap-Fit Cookie Cutter Set
$7.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™