did my dahlias die?

Desirai(7B)March 20, 2013

I bought some dahlias from walmart in January and I immediately planted them because they were already sprouting, but I haven't seen any movement out of them since, did they die? did I plant them too soon? we still haven't had our last frost yet.

I'm in zone 7b, north central AL

I've never had dahlias before

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve22802(7a VA)

Dahlias like warm soil. They are not going to do any more growing until your soil warms up. They were sprouting in Walmart because it was warm and they sensed that it was time to grow. Usually people wait until near the last frost date to plant dahila tubers. Note that the tubers are not frost hardy so you will likely not be able to leave them in the ground next winter in your climate without special protection.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 3:55PM
Desirai(7B)

oh no. i bet they died in our frosts. :(

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 6:42PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Oh yeah, I see you said you planted them back in January not right now. They probably froze and are now mush. You might as well dig them up and see for yourself what condition they are in. January is kind of early for Walmart to be selling dahlias but then again some people (like me) start them in pots indoors and then transplant them out around the last frost date to get a head start. The easiest and safest way to grow them is to plant the tuber outside after the last frost date but then you get flowers much later in the summer.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
Seeds or Tubers? Info needed.
So I am new to gardening in general and I am interested...
pinkkpearls
Any dahlias that won't get powdery mildew???
I'm not interested in spraying my garden, not even...
rosefolly
That's a wrap!
The Color Spectacle split into six (four large, two...
morpheuspa
New to dahlia's. Suggestions?
Hi, I've chosen dahlia's as my new thing to grow this...
annofpa zone 6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™