Western Washington Dahlia Newbie - Tips

pacnwgrdngirl(z8 WA)March 4, 2007

Hello, I am in love with Dahlias, they grow so beautifully here in the Pac NW! This season will be my first one with the big ones. I live on the Olympic Peninsula near Bremerton. I was just wondering when people around here plant their tubers? Do you start them early in pots? It is pretty mild here, last frost is March 20th. I got Thomas Edison, Minnesota, and Le Baron. Is it necessary to lift them in the fall here? I had my little garden ones come back without lifting. Any tips and advice are much appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantlady2(NW Washington)

You can start them early in pots or flats if you like. Plant out when the soil is 60* & they'll take right off. If you plant when the soil is too cold they'll just sit there & if it gets too wet, they'll rot. (wet?? In W. WA???>:)
You're taking chances by not digging in the fall but you could try mulching really deeply- if you have some nice favorites you should dig them just to be sure they don't get frozen over the winter.

Bookmark   March 4, 2007 at 7:29PM
Noni Morrison

Hi, I am on Vashon Island so probably about the same zone as you, 8b. I have been leaving my dahlias in the ground over winter for 7 year now, with none lost from freezing. I do put a straw mulch over them when the temp is dropping below 25 but just dug up some that I had left in an old garden and not mulched this winter and they were fine. My soil does drain well, however. I loose a lot more if I dig them up!

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 12:36AM
lila_newgardener(8)

I am in Silverdale, WA and I have had a Dahlia come back twice on its own without being dug up as well.

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Identifying a plant
Can anyone tell me what this is please? It's come up...
chillout_cy
About anemone-flowered Dahlias?
Hello friends of mine wanted to get a certain anemone-type,...
linaria_gw
What are some early flowering dinnerplate varieties?
I've been growing dahlias here in Wyoming for 4 years...
seranata
Question on my dahlia imperial tree
I'm in Zone 8a. I grew my first year imperial dahlia...
lorabell NC
Potted dahlias that never went dormant
Hi everyone! I bought two potted dahlias at an end-of-season...
debby_z4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™