Bouquets for dancers

caavonldy(8/9 N CA)July 27, 2007

I have volunteered to make up bouquets for all the girls in my GD's dance classes. I need to make up 10 small bouquets for Sat night for their recital. I have cosmos, zinias, babys breath, annual coreopsys, purple coneflowers, small sunflowers and black-eyed susans. Should I cut them tonight and let them condition overnight(we cool down outside to the 60s at night) or should I cut them early tomorrow morning. We are having hot weather(96-98) and keep our house between 78-80 to save $ on AC cost. Is it OK to store the bouquets in coolers? I don't have room for all those flowers in the fridge. I sure could use some help from the pros on this forum. Thank you. Donna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noni Morrison

Guess I am too late to answer this! HOpe the flowers held up and the event were fun for all!

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 5:19PM
caavonldy(8/9 N CA)

Everything turned out great. I picked flowere at 6 am and used the conditioning lq that I found on this forum. I was able to keep them cool in the neighbor's extra fridge that was stored in her garage. I would still like to know what is the best thing to do as next year we have to do it again and the neighbor is having the fridge picked up next week.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 6:51PM
paveggie(z5-6)

Given the (relatively) cool overnight temps, you could easily pick early in the morning for something the same night. If the time to use is less than that, I'd go with the "as late as possible the night before" cutting. That way you'd be sure they were well-hydrated.

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 6:24AM
caavonldy(8/9 N CA)

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to plan ahead next year and plant flowers that hold up longer. It looks like this will be an annual thing. Everyone loved the flowers, they were much nicer than what was available at the plant stands in the supermarkets and better then the carnations that the florest had. He wanted $7 for 2 carnations with a bit of filler, tied with a ribbon. I needed 10 bouquets. There was not that much in our budget. I did it all for les then $7 for all ten with the flowers in my garden plus some ribbon and some plastic to wrap them in.

Bookmark   August 14, 2007 at 5:28PM
terriculture

Hi, do you have any photos of the bouquets? if so I would like to see them please! I'm new here and not sure where
to upload flower arrangements or where to find them!
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 12:47PM
caavonldy(8/9 N CA)

Sorry, I didn't even think of taking photos of the flowers, only the girls.

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
cold hardy kiwi
looking for a male and female cuttings to start cold...
juststartingout
Bright Light Cosmos Never Again
This is the second year in a row that my bright light...
weld
Straw for mulch?
Hello everyone, I am considering using straw for mulch...
Fundybayfarm
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
Zinnia flower heads not growing large as expected
I planted a variety of zinnias this year....smoothies...
tizzylizzyloo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™