The Biggest Dahlia Flower

teddahliaMarch 31, 2010

There is quite a population of dahlia growers who grow only giant sized dahlias that many of us call "dinner plate" dahlias. I have grown many big ones over the years and the largest one I grew was couple of years ago called Almand Supreme. It was 14 inches in diameter. How big have you grown a dahlia flower? I have seen them bigger than 14 inches and have heard of an 18 inch Emory Paul.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Poochella(7 WA)

Wow 18" would be one impressive "serving platter" dahlia! I've only been able to muster a mere 11" across here in a white ID with no name. Still pretty impressive for a flower.

On a side note, does anyone else find the Bing popup things the most annoying interruption in any online experience? Reminds me of telemarketer calls in days of yore.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 11:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantlady2008

We've had 15" Wyn's Conquistador get 15" without any problem-- & bigger when only 3-up (this is on late bloomers that are under the trees so don't mature very early- otherwisw we grow it as many up as it wants & it's still bigger than a basketball!) My brother-in-law grew a 17" one- the first dahlia he ever grew!
We have a seedling 06-01 that regularily gets upwards of 16" or so-
I was going to post pictures but now have to figure out how - Photobucket seems to have changed how you put pictures on here & I'm flummoxed! Or maybe it's the fault of Windows? Don't know but I'm stuck again!

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 5:40PM
More Discussions
Another Dahlia Newbie!
I have always admired dahlias! I bought a beautiful,...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
New to Dahlias. help my tubers are drying out
HI everyone. I dug my dahlias and washed them before...
flashphoto
When will this winter ever be over?
Can't wait for the better weather to come so I can...
Paul Reeder
new guy at the forum
Hi every one I'm new to the forum but I've been reading...
rayagain
Winter storage
I ordered some dinner plate dahlia tubers to plant...
connieatchley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™