forum overlap? Need cutting choices for hot Houston

Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)July 12, 2012

I read the Texas Gardening forum the most, because our heat is so hard on so many plants. Recently, though, I have enjoyed bringing in several of my stems for arrangements. Does anyone here live in a hot, humid climate? I am interested in growing flowers and greenery for cutting but have no idea what will work for me. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magz88(5a - Central Ontario)

We are hot and humid - but only for about 3 months of the year.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 12:48PM
Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)

I'm sure it's too late in the season to start anything, unless there are some fall possibilities. We have a long growing season.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 1:21PM
magz88(5a - Central Ontario)

You can still sow zinnias.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 3:28PM
rjanders

You can grow zinnias, celosia, many kinds, sunflowers, gomphrena, amaranths, grasses. I live an hour west of Houston and grow all these flowers for cutting this time of year.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 7:54PM
Ann_in_Houston(z9 Houston)

Wow, thanks. And now that I see this response, you can ignore my question in the thread about the agapanthus. I should have known it would be a fellow Texan who would guess the mystery stems. So, should I read up on how to do those from seed, or do they sell the plants? I'm guessing I should plan to do the sunflowers from seed. I don't ever remember seeing them in nurseries.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 10:27PM
rjanders

I sow all my seeds in little tray packs and then when they are about 4 to 6" tall I plant them out in beds. I have a large cut flower business and sell my flowers now at Central Market. There is also a farmers market in Houston called Urban Harvest on Eastside and Richmond and there are two other cut flower growers there that you can check out.Read through all the past posts and just search these flowers and there is tons of stuff on this forum to tell you how to grow them. There is also a meeting coming up on August 6th in LA that anyone can attend to learn how to grow cut flowers. Check out the Association of Speciality Cut Flower Growers and all the info is on there under events, regional meetings.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 1:41PM
bfff_tx(z8b TX)

Hi Ann
Like Rita (rjanders) I am also a cut flower farmer located about an hour NW of downtown Houston. Currently I'm growing Veronica, Rudbeckia, Heliopsis, Zinnias, Marigolds, Tuberose, Gomphrena, Celosia (Cockscomb and Plumed varieties), Dahlias, Lisianthus, Cinnamon Basil, Tithonia, Ageratum, Amaranthus, Ornamental Grasses and Millets and Sunflowers. The annuals are grown from seed that comes from commercial specialty seed companies but you could source some from "Johnny's Selected Seed" or "Park Seed". For foliage, Eucalyptus will grow in Houston, Waxleaf Lingustum, Privets, periwinkle, Pittosporum, Foxtail Ferns, Cast Iron Plant, Rosemary to name a few.
It's not too late to sow Zinnias, Celosia, Amaranths, Sunflowers, Gomphrena's, Cinnamon Basil, Tithonia and Marigolds now for the fall, just make sure you get tall varieties and not the bedding varieties.
Cheers Kim
Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Bright Light Cosmos Never Again
This is the second year in a row that my bright light...
weld
Straw for mulch?
Hello everyone, I am considering using straw for mulch...
Fundybayfarm
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
preparing very weedy area for next year's cutting garden
This year because of a host of unfortunate events and...
nancy0903
High temps reducing cuts?
I am in my second year of growing cut flowers for farmers'...
Mike_PP11
Sponsored Products
Artemide | Hakofugu Pendant Light
YLiving.com
Campania International Faux Bois Cast Stone Stepper - E-122-AL
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Cora Silver and Black 32" x 26" Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Elizabethan Classics Bathtubs 71 in. Double Slipper Tub with Oil Rubbed Bronze
Home Depot
Green 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 120/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Mizone Mackenzie 4-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Rachael Ray Porcelain II Yellow 10-piece Cookware Set ** With $20 Mail-In Rebate
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™