Meyers Lemon Sucker?

dougschommerSeptember 16, 2013

I have a potted Meyers Lemon that had a recent growth spurt. I'm concerned it may be a sucker because of how quickly it grew and it's down on the base. However I have another brand just a nose hair above it that has fruit on it. Please see photos. You'll notice the new growth is quite large- it grew over a foot in the last 6-8 weeks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dougschommer

Here's a link to a larger image: http://www.schommer.net/photos/sucker.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 8:06PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Well, hard to tell for sure, since you have the tree buried a little too deeply in the pot, but I suspect this is not a rootstock sucker, but just a water sprout. This is typical behavior with lemons. All citrus can produce water sprouts - just vigorous new growth - and lemons particularly so. Plus, the Improved Meyer lemon is a bush-like tree to start with, so what you're seeing is even more typical of the Meyer. If you can remove some of the potting mix from the pot to expose the trunk some more, and determine where your graft line is, you will know for sure :-)

Patty S.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 9:55PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

I would imagine most potted Meyers sold in the north are from rooted cuttings. They're cheaper to propagate than from grafts and since they're not planted in the ground, there are no soil-borne disease issues to worry about.

I'd be rather surprised if it was a grafted plant IMHO.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 12:43PM
andrew78(6)

Actually Dave, I have been really surprised with what has been for sale lately. Right now I know of 4 places that I can buy citrus. 2 of them sell rooted cuttings, but all 4 places also sell grafted trees. I have been really fortunate to have been at thew right place at the right time. I was able to pick up 3 trees this year, all on sale, and all grafted trees!

Andrew

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™