How to condition Cerinthe?

Pudge 2bJuly 1, 2008

I've got a nice row of Cerinthe I plan to cut for this weekend's bouquets, but am not sure how to treat it once cut. I've read a couple of places where it says to immerse the cut ends in boiling water for 30 seconds. It's my first time growing it and I really like it - any info/experience on this is much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pudge 2b

Okay, well I did a test of one stem just cut into plain water and 4 days later it still is very nice so I guess no boiling water needed.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 11:20PM
teresa_b(z6 MO)

Thank you, Pudge, for sharing your experience with Cerinthe. I plan to grow this next year.

Teresa

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 1:48PM
Pudge 2b

You're welcome, Teresa. I'm very pleased with this plant as a filler and suspect it will find its way into many of my bouquets. A bouquet containing Cerinthe, soft pink Peonies, Lady's Mantle & Baby's Breath and set in preservative water is still looking very fresh today (Tuesday).

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 1:25PM
teresa_b(z6 MO)

Pudge,

That bouquet sounds gorgeous!!

Teresa

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 9:16PM
flowers4u(z6 OR)

Hi Pudge -
Quick question -- at what stage did you cut this? I think my cerinthe are ready...I've never grown them and planted them in May outside...they have the blue flowers, still droopy though, do they "stand up" and then they're ready? Or, are they just filler?
Thanks,
Wendy

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 1:34PM
Pudge 2b

I've been cutting for a month so I'm sure yours must be ready. No, it doesn't stand up although it does get somewhat perkier once cooled and set in preservative water. I used it only as filler, but a lot of customers noticed it right off and asked what it was. Some really liked the little purple bell flowers. A nice plant and I'll grow it again but only about half the amount I planted this year - I didn't know it would get as big as it did.

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
High temps reducing cuts?
I am in my second year of growing cut flowers for farmers'...
Mike_PP11
David Austin roses for cutting
Hey helloo community I'm brand new to roses and am...
Clemmielover
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine in Flower Arrangement?
Will an ornamental Sweet Potato Vine Survive in a floral...
christy51274
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™