What to do if tubers grow 2-3 stems?

HighlanderNorthMarch 31, 2012

I wet ahead and planted a few tubers that had sprouted early about 28 days ago, after shortening their stems to 1". But we had a couple frosts, and the shallower tubers(that I didnt care about) died apparently.

But the one I do care about(MacAllister's Pride) did grow, but it grew 2 stems that popped up above soil about 8 days ago, and about days ago I dug down to the tuber and pinched off 1 of the 2 tubers.

hey both seemed smaller and thinner than they should be, but it has been cooler recently, and there were 2 instead of 1.

Was that the correct thing to do? Will the 1 thats left now get thicker since I removed it's competition? It was a very small, thin tuber that sprouted early..... I have been wrapping the large pot its in in a trash bag when it gets cold at night, and thats protected it so far.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keriann_lakegeneva(5B WI/IL border)

Yeah, it is up to you.

I keep some of mine at 3-4 stems because I think they look better, but I am not growing them for competition. Whichever works for you. I will say that you need good air circulation no matter what you choose to go with 1 vs multi-stems.

Good uck!

Keriann~

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
MDS Annual Tuber Sale at Bachman's
Saturday, April 11th, 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. MDS Annual...
salvidordahlia
FoodSaver for storing
Has anyone ever used the Food Saver system to store...
bitbit
What dahlias are you adding this year?
The catalogs are starting to arrive. What varieties...
KarenPA_6b
Ship Dahlias to Mexico
Hello. I want to buy Dahlias tubers or seed from US,...
Mike_Ibarra
Hybrid, mutation or cultivar?
Do you grow Dahlia from seeds? These are supposed to...
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™