Heliopsis helianthoides

donn_(7b-8a)July 12, 2005

Steve...more on the Heliopsis helianthoides. Is it a named cultivar (looks like 'Sommersonne' aka 'Summer Sun')? Are you growing it for seed, stems, both? I'm curious because I started 4 different Heliopsis this year. 'Loraine Sunshine,' 'Summer Sun,' one described as "yellow double" and one described only as Heliopsis. I had great germination in all of them, and am wondering what to be ready for.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goshawker(z4WI)

Donn,

It is the native Heliopsis which I hand collected off of a remnant prairie from private land, with permission. I took that seed and grew 4, 300 foot rows of plants. I took that seed and planted it and now have a solid half acre growing. Initially I was growing it for seed production, now it's for stems and seeds. I see a great variation in sizes, shapes and hues, which is what the floists like, variety but consistency.

I have my headlamp on, the kids are in bed, and now I have to go cut 1000 Heliopsis stems for delivery tomorrow morning. Sleep is over rated.

Steve

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 11:38PM
donn_(7b-8a)

Thanks, Steve, and, by the way, you're nuts! Picking at midnight? If I went out with a headlamp at midnight, I'd be carried off either by cops or skeeters.

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 6:12AM
goshawker(z4WI)

Donn,

I started doing it last year because I have time when everybody's in bed. The bugs aren't too bad except that they come to the light and hit me in the eyes. I put on long sleeves and deet anywhere skin is showing. I live out in the country so my neighbors are plenty far away, and they wouldn't call the cops any way because they know I'm nuts too, lol. Plus, my biology teacher buddy told me that it's a great time to cut because since they aren't actively grwoing it's less stressful on them. I cut another 800 stems last night for boquets I need to make for tomorrow.

Good luck with your Heliopsis,

Steve

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
High temps reducing cuts?
I am in my second year of growing cut flowers for farmers'...
Mike_PP11
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
David Austin roses for cutting
Hey helloo community I'm brand new to roses and am...
Clemmielover
please post your flower arrangement we love to see them
I have an Idea I will post some flower arrangements...
Lorna1949
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™